It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:04

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 May 2022, 08:27 • #1 
Sport
Here are a few LR builds I've recently completed. Both are pretty amazing rods to lawn cast and hopefully I'm able to get them both on the water in the next few weeks. I hope you enjoy them........

The first was built on a LR Headwaters blank and is an 804/3. Black main wraps with blue tipping, Mildrum SG, Flor Plus cork and a RL seat w/ Koa spacer & blued NS hardware. It pairs pretty nicely with an old 40's era leaded 3 screw Hardy LRH Lightweight I've had for some time. It casts a 4 or 5 line nicely and as of now I prefer it with a WF5 but will see what that feels like on the water.

The second was built on a LR Western blank and is an 865/3. Red main wraps with very light blue tipping..........I believe Kimono calls it Glacier Ice and it only has the slightest hint of a blue. Also Flor Plus cork, Mildrum SG, and a Lemke GS downlocking seat in anodized grey which I really like. I had originally intended to use an early 20's 3" Hardy STG I recently acquired with it but the Valentine 76 balances nicely and the color scheme is almost a perfect match ironically. So far I like this rod with a WF5 as well but will see in the next few weeks.

Post 03 May 2022, 11:57 • #2 
Master Guide
Wow. Very very nice!!

Post 03 May 2022, 12:13 • #3 
Guide
love love love your tipping work and finish work. Really great stuff!

Post 03 May 2022, 16:23 • #4 
Sport
Sweet handle on the LR Western. Very comfy style there and looks great, too.

Post 03 May 2022, 16:56 • #5 
Master Guide
Nice builds. Love the glacier ice blue tipping.

Post 05 May 2022, 08:03 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Both are gorgeous!

Post 05 May 2022, 08:29 • #7 
Sport
Thanks guys, I appreciate the positive feedback !

knotjoe wrote:
Sweet handle on the LR Western. Very comfy style there and looks great, too.

Thanks ! Yes, it is very comfortable. One thing I've sort of focused on the past several years is cork quality as well as shape. It's your only contact point with the rod really so in my opinion it should be of a shape and diameter which works for you and of the highest quality if possible. I'm still learning how to shape grips but I'm getting more comfortable with it and I think these two turned out nicely. I tried rings from a different supplier in Flor Plus grade with the last three rods and they're nice. Certainly some imperfections but very small and not noticeable at all when you handle the rod. Anyway, for me, the best thing about being to do this myself is having complete control over grip.

Baldknobber1 wrote:
Nice builds. Love the glacier ice blue tipping.

Thank you ! In the pictures the tipping appears white more than anything else, but in the right light you can see the blue hue to the thread. It's very faint but it's there. Anyway, I originally was going to use a true white silk but the Glacier Ice is a bit more muted and I like the result.

Post 07 May 2022, 21:51 • #8 
Master Guide
Excellent builds, Trey! I think you’ve inspired me to give rod building a shot - now I just need to decide on a blank.

Looks like the move to your new cork supplier paid off. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on both of these ********* rods after you get them on the water, especially how they compare to the Steffen tapers in similar configurations.

Post 07 May 2022, 22:14 • #9 
Master Guide
Very nice builds!

Post 07 May 2022, 23:22 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
These turned out excellent. I will second the request for your thoughts once you get them out on the water.

Post 10 May 2022, 07:21 • #11 
Sport
paramount51 wrote:
Very nice builds!

GlacierRambler wrote:
These turned out excellent. I will second the request for your thoughts once you get them out on the water.

Thank you ! And I'll certainly send you a PM with my impressions once I've had a chance to fish them both. I'm looking at a pretty hectic schedule for the next three to four weeks but hoping to squeeze a day on the water in somewhere in there.

El Duderino wrote:
Excellent builds, Trey! I think you’ve inspired me to give rod building a shot - now I just need to decide on a blank.

Looks like the move to your new cork supplier paid off. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on both of these ********* rods after you get them on the water, especially how they compare to the Steffen tapers in similar configurations.

Seth..........It will likely be several weeks it looks like before I'm able to fish these two, but I'll let you know what I think once I have. You should absolutely start building and I'll send you an email here in a bit regarding blanks and sort of outline where I started and what I've learned with the few rods I've built so far. I still have a lot to learn, but slowly making progress I feel........and having a good time in the process, which is all that matters really.

Post 10 May 2022, 08:53 • #12 
Those are beautiful, excellent work!

Post 10 May 2022, 11:00 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
So nice!

Post 12 May 2022, 17:42 • #14 
Guide
Those two builds go straight into the “Classic” catagory !!! The reels of course also helped that out a little … Beautiful and Fantastic job , you’ll enjoy those for a few lifetimes…

Post 18 May 2022, 18:57 • #15 
Sport
Moose15 wrote:
Those are beautiful, excellent work!

Thank you !

Shane wrote:
So nice!

Thanks ! And thanks to you for setting such a high standard which gives the rest of us something to shoot for !!!

pgbuilt1 wrote:
Those two builds go straight into the “Classic” catagory !!! The reels of course also helped that out a little … Beautiful and Fantastic job , you’ll enjoy those for a few lifetimes…

Thanks ! Yeah, those three reels took me a long time to find !!! The 3" STG can be dated to a two year window ( 1920 - 1922 ) making them very difficult to find, the Valentine 76 they just did not make many of I don't believe and are rather uncommon, and the 1940's era leaded 3 screw LRH has become my favorite vintage reel when a lighter reel is called for.....

New Topic Add Reply