It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:47

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Apr 2022, 21:19 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
A friend of mine (ChaoticScott) bought a Lami Brush Creek 7'6" 6 piece 4/5wt. The middle section was broken in shipping. :(

Donny (Paveglass) if you are reading this, avert your eyes!

So I could put it back together gluing a hollow stent inside the broken pieces and turning down the male ferrule so it fits inside. That would get to be a pretty thin male ferrule.

The easiest option would be to trim the big piece back to the wrap (it is strengthened here due to the wraps) and turn the male ferrule down just a bit so it fits again. This would result in the rod being ~ 1.5 inch shorter.

What do you think? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by Driftless on 26 Apr 2022, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

Post 25 Apr 2022, 21:48 • #2 
Administrator
I would use a sleeve repair. Sleeves are often stronger than the original blank. Sleeves aren't as pretty, but you should be able to hide it under the guide wraps.

Tom

Post 25 Apr 2022, 23:15 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Agree with Tom, with that spigot in there gonna be tough to do anything else.

How did it that damage in shipping? Crushed? Bent?

Post 26 Apr 2022, 07:23 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Well, gosh, unless you were buying a project rod, check about returning it or a shipping insurance claim.

If you wind up keeping the rod, I think it won't be too hard to turn up a replacement blank or section. People break or damage tips most often, so somebody probably has one minus the tip section, but others in good condition. It also wouldn't be too difficult to find a very close fiberglass section to be substituted with only very slight changes to the ferrule. Thus, I would look for a replacement section before making any substantial change to the male spigot to accommodate a repair of the broken section.

Post 26 Apr 2022, 12:45 • #5 
Sport
If was me I would send back to where you got from or file a shipping claim

Post 26 Apr 2022, 12:50 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions. The shipment was crushed I guess and it is was a facebook marketplace thing. I believe Scott worked out something with the seller and still wound up with the rod, so I said I would see what I could do to get it working again.

First thing I did was to post in the Wanted section to see if anyone had that section - that would be nice!

Post 26 Apr 2022, 15:44 • #7 
Master Guide
Might be worth it to contact Lamiglas to see if they have that section sitting around.

Post 26 Apr 2022, 17:20 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Good Idea! I will give them a call.

Post 27 Apr 2022, 14:02 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I'm not familiar with that rod but unless the male is solid turning it down to fit inside a repair spigot of the same size it is just won't work, a spigot that fits that female must be almost exactly the same size in all respects as the male that fits it.
I would use the sleeve as suggested, or perhaps a spigot in the male long enough to bridge the break.

Post 03 May 2022, 19:29 • #10 
Sport
I take it all back - forget what I wrote below - it simply won't work . . .

Okay. Thinking outside of the box here. Here's my three going-in assumptions:

1. From the pix, it looks like the break is occurring above a fully engaged spigot from the lower section

2. The section isn't fishable as-is (obviously) but in the off chance you find a replacement section, we don't want to modify any other section as part of the repair

3. The integrity of the damaged section above the break is good - that is, no cracks continuing on into the guide wrap.

With nothing else to lose, if it were mine, I'd consider cutting the broken section flush just below the guide wrap and dress it like a female ferrule for the adjoining spigot.

I'd map out the adjoining spigot and try to estimate the gap I now have in the cut section. From the pix it looks like the break occurred above a fully engaged spigot so you may have enough space around it when it intersects with the newly cut blank to controllably fill.

I'd consider making a thin epoxy mold of the intersecting spigot, paying close attention to the use of a releasing agent/method.

Once I had a cured spigot mold, I'd figure out how to mount it to a cork mandrel and turn down the outer diameter so it fits inside the damaged section ID. Probably end up making and destroying a few of these thin-walled spacers along the way so id plan for that . . .

Epoxy the thin-walled spacer in-place and keep everything straight while drying.

This way you end up only modifying the broken section in case you find a replacement.

Might not be the best approach but hopefully it spawns a better thought from someone else.

Post 05 May 2022, 08:01 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Thinking outside the box though! Thanks for trying!

Attention Driftless!
Post 10 May 2022, 19:11 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I saw on the "Wanted" board that you broke a section of your 6 pc Lamiglas and are looking for a replacement piece. I do not have one to offer, but I broke the same section myself and was able to repair it with an insert. Here is a picture of mine with the repair in place. You can see the repair as the dark section inside the rod segment.

Just clean up the ends of the broken pieces and cut a section out of an expendable rod for an insert. My repair did not affect the action at all. Since your's is broken close to a ferrule, be sure you do not impact the normal ferrule connection with the repair. It may require that you trim down the male portion of that ferrule.

PS: It breaks my heart to see that.

Re: Attention Driftless!
Post 11 May 2022, 09:56 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Donny ... tell us more please about your repair ... what did you use for internal / external glue or epoxies ... did you use thread wraps over the broken spot ??

Pecos

Post 11 May 2022, 16:37 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Donny's repair is a long ways from the spigot, which is what makes this repair different. Without getting overly creative, I think an oversleeve is the only practical way to go.

Post 11 May 2022, 17:45 • #15 
Master Guide
I may still have some old Heddon yellow fiberglass sections/ pieces licking around. The color maybe a close match. You could probably do an over sleeve with it.

Post 15 May 2022, 14:57 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
I would wait and see if you can find another section from Lamiglas or whoever before you do anything with it.The buyer and the shipper came to an agreement so it cant be returned.I would just put it on the back burner until you find something.I definitely wouldnt alter the male ferrule in any way in case you do find another section.Even if you found a complete blank at a good price,then you would have lot of spare sections.That would be a large disappointment when he first opened the parcel.

Post 17 May 2022, 10:58 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Hi All,

Thanks again for all the advice. I reached out to Lami and they do not have any extra pieces. Thinking over your suggestions, it does seem like an over sleeve would be the best choice. If a replacement piece ever became available, it could be subbed in, since the male ferrule had not been altered. Thanks Roy and Cheffy for the blank piece offers. I will talk it over with the owner and get back to you. Donny, sorry you had to see that!

If I go with the over sleeve, do I move the guide so it is not on top of the sleeve?

New Topic Add Reply