It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:12

New Topic Add Reply
Polishing wraps
Post 21 Apr 2022, 11:41 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I've searched the forum and it seems like when people use varnish for coating wraps, they will lightly sand before the last coat and then leave it.

Does anyone knock the shine off the wraps with rottenstone or other polishing compounds? Any tips?

Thanks!

Re: Polishing wraps
Post 21 Apr 2022, 11:57 • #2 
Master Guide
I use rottenstone to get the look I want on the rod blank and the wraps too. Sometimes I like a more satin appearance rather than gloss. I use a soft rag that I saturate with mineral oil which usually gives me the look I want.

Bruce

Post 21 Apr 2022, 15:22 • #3 
Master Guide
It’s really up to the rod maker’s tastes. I don’t prefer it as I like the gloss.

Post 21 Apr 2022, 15:46 • #4 
Master Guide
I like the gloss. The only reason I sand is to knock down imperfections before the final coat. Then it's not until 3 or 4 coats are built up.

Post 21 Apr 2022, 17:34 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Just use a semi-gloss or satin varnish. Between coats, as advised with most conventional varnishes, it's good to very lightly sand or steel wool the previous coat, especially if gloss. The purpose isn't to level it in any way, just to micro-score it for better adhesion of the next coat. Just a light touch or twist. Use any abrasive too hard and small particles might embed in the coat. Some avoid steel wool (6/0 or finer) for this reason. Any buffing has to be followed by cleaning to remove tiny flakes; with steel wool, I pass a magnet around the wrap as well. For the final coat, I guess you could knock the gloss down as described, but using satin or semi-gloss is easier and will give a more uniform outcome.

Post 22 Apr 2022, 09:42 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it!

Post 22 Apr 2022, 10:44 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
One other point to consider. Unless you plan to wipe and wax your wraps all the time, high gloss is the way to go. It doesn't need this extra step often, if at all (the others don't, really either), but with good but casual care, deposited mineral fines from constant exposure to water when fishing, will slightly dull the appearance of any wrap with any finish. HIgh gloss wipes bright most easily (to exaggerate, consider the difference between high gloss interior enamel and flat wall paint in ease of cleaning) but won't look so shiny outside in use and will retain its sheen the longest. Minor points, since the others will protect just fine and are worth a try if you like them.

Post 22 Apr 2022, 19:51 • #8 
Guide
Just like a piece of furniture , I use gloss predominantly , 1000 or 1200 grit wet auto body sandpaper to carefully lightly sand out between the lines whatever bumps & bruises during the finish coats , pretty good results , or at least it seems to work pretty well for me anyway ?

Post 23 Apr 2022, 08:36 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks again guys. Whirlpool, I have noticed that dulling of the wrap where the line goes through the guide on my more heavily fished rods.

New Topic Add Reply