It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:51

New Topic Add Reply
Magnifying lamp
Post 13 Apr 2022, 10:41 • #1 
Guide
Anyone have a recommendation for a good magnifying lamp? Was trying to wrap a dark blank with a dark thread this am and even with my bifocals on, my deteriorating vision wasn’t having it.

Thanks

Re: Magnifying lamp
Post 13 Apr 2022, 10:43 • #2 
Piscator
Ott

They offer table and floor models, integral and separate lamp.

Post 13 Apr 2022, 11:02 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Have you tried (or considered) one of these?

Post 13 Apr 2022, 11:30 • #4 
Guide
I will look at the OTT

I have an optivisor 1.75x. It is okay, but as you step up in magnification, the focal length is too short for my comfort. I figured a good light integrated with a magnifier might help.
Edited to add I don’t want junk… :)

Post 13 Apr 2022, 12:05 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I have a magnifier lamp, got it from a relative who passed, I often use it, and a pair of magnifier glasses tying flies. At work I have loop(is that what they call em?) that helps me count the hairs on a knat's a$$, and a cheapy magnifier lamp. I don't know about you, but I'm way too young to be this old.

Good luck.

Post 13 Apr 2022, 20:44 • #6 
Master Guide
After a weird eye issue I found I needed a magnifier for everything from fly tying to rid building.
Got the Ott light desk top model.
Keep an eye on JoAnn fabrics. They go on sale almost every month for like 50% off or sign up for coupons

Post 14 Apr 2022, 06:06 • #7 
Sport
Another vote for Ott. I've been using the 3X magnifier paired with the light for tying midges for quite a few years--works great! As mentioned, keep an eye out for adds at the sewing stores.

Tight Lines- Ken

Post 14 Apr 2022, 07:12 • #8 
Piscator
I haul mine with clamp base to Arroyo City for nite-lite dock (finesse) fishing.
We set it up in the enclosed back porch for rigging so we don't have to use lights on the dock that would show the fish we're there.

Image Image

at home, I use it for everything, especially rebuilding reels.

Post 14 Apr 2022, 08:30 • #9 
Guide
The Joann’s comment got me thinking and called the mother in law. She was a big quilter but stopped last year. She has one I can have, so going tomorrow and try free first. I asked her to text me a picture, she laughed. :)

Post 14 Apr 2022, 08:35 • #10 
Master Guide
Another vote for Ott. I have an Ott floor lamp and a table lamp. The first was a gift, many years ago, and the gift included one of the proprietary replacement bulbs for it. I thought that might have been a small red flag. No worries... the original bulb is still going strong probably a decade later, and that lamp gets a lot of use.

I tried a magnifier ring lamp at the tying bench and didn't care for it. I'd rather have a very good light (or lights) and a piece of light gray card stock as a back drop -- that's a big help.

Post 14 Apr 2022, 20:19 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I use the visor. it is easy to use at different locations. fly tying desk rod bench, work bench. ..... and they are cheap from harbor freight.

Post 16 Apr 2022, 05:38 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Another vote for a head loop or visor for portability and not whacking a fixed magnifying lamp with my hand when wrapping stuff fly tying or doing other tasks which happened when I used a magnifying lamp on a desk. I also have really good lighting where I work or bring it with me.

All magnifying glasses have a fixed working distance so you are stuck with what you got which is fine if you like that distance or level of magnification. However I like different working distances or levels of magnification depending on what I am doing so I have a couple of different OptiVISORS. You also could swap lenses if you wished.

Good luck in your search for a solution.

Post 16 Apr 2022, 07:06 • #13 
Master Guide
I use the Mageyes visor, it will fit over your glasses, comes with two different lenses with other magnification available and is available at craft stores and Walmart.
They also have the Hateyes version to clip on the brim of a cap for tying on flies while fishing.
I tried the magnifying lamp, it was always in the way for me.

Post 16 Apr 2022, 12:23 • #14 
Sport
I have tried both a visor and a desk mounted magnifier. I eventually gave up on the desk mount because it always seemed to be in my way. I wound up with a Carson MagniVisor Deluxe, and really do like it. It isn't without issues, primarily slipping, but found a tip to put velcro (the soft side) on the band nearest the forehead - it works much better that way. It's nice to be able to flip the glass itself up and out of the way when you don't need the magnification. I use this primarily for wrapping silk.

Post 17 Apr 2022, 07:52 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah, the visor style like I had posted above is just what I'm used to from my time in one of the biomedical labs doing direct brain injections in mice. Pretty much HAD to have one of those things. In my rob building infancy, I find them quite useful....same with tying small flies (yes, I do that on occasion) and out of the way.

Post 20 Apr 2022, 10:18 • #16 
Master Guide
I just got a note from Lee Valley tools. They have a magnifying visor on sale. Five different lenses and led light for some like $25. I bought a similar one from them years ago and like it. No connection to the company. Just outting out the info for everyone

Post 29 Apr 2022, 15:21 • #17 
Guide
Update
Have the cheaper Ott. Having a bit of trouble with the lens in the way and knocking it… But the light portion is very nice. Using the ott light and my old magni-vizor about 75% of time and the Ott magnifier the other 25% .

The joys of getting old, haha

New Topic Add Reply