It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:00

New Topic Add Reply
CP issue - photos
Post 16 Dec 2021, 07:26 • #1 
Master Guide

Just finished last blank of three. Noticed 2 sets of wraps darker than rest of rod. ***What could cause threads to darken?*** I used CP on these threads and others - all at the same time. However, just these 2 sets of wraps framing my lettering are darker than other wraps. These specific wraps were done days after the others. While other wraps attract light and look auburn/copper, these are darker and have a lot less auburn/copper to them. I used Kimono 370. 364 is the trim. CP was gently stirred before use. 2 coats of CP on all wraps.

Used Kimono and have just 3 browns. Took notes and photos before build and am more than certain I used the right thread.

Wraps removed. 368 is the only other Kimono and blends too much with 364 and with photos referenced, am certain I used the right thread.

Suggestions and tips welcomed. The first photo are the wraps I am removing. Last photo is my test wraps - wraps with trim are what is used on the rod.

Last edited by Panfish74 on 16 Dec 2021, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

Re: CP issue - photos
Post 16 Dec 2021, 08:32 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
There really are only a couple possibilities. Because all the other wraps turned out fine with no bleed through, either you forgot to CP those wraps or you used the wrong thread :) . Either way, redoing them will fix the problem. Nice color choice BTW.

Post 16 Dec 2021, 11:29 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Or possibly different spools of a thread with the same product i.d.? One other possibility--different color appearance of the blank at this point (underneath and next to the wrap) where it is thicker and larger diameter, and the width of the thread wrap. Sometimes, in otherwords, the color of the thread is "identical," but the position and substrate makes it look different. Wraps toward the butt of a rod will sometimes look more prominent than those up toward the tip. I think it looks fine anyhow and wouldn't change it until the rod had spent some time in natural light and I had looked at it casually enough to decide it drove me nuts or that I could ignore it because I didn't notice it.

Post 16 Dec 2021, 11:43 • #4 
Master Guide
Tiptop, thanks for the compliment. You may be correct.

Whrlpool, the coloring drove me a bit batty. Observed it in various forms of lighting. Figured I’d try to wrap them again and see what happens. If it’s the substrate, oh well.

I have the wraps noted as 8 turns of #370 and 3 turns of 364 for trim on either side. Can’t mess it up. Just have to really make sure I’m putting on CP. This morning as new wraps were put on, I made sure not to pack new threads too tight and have just the right amount of tension.

I’m also wondering if CP needs a bit more gentle stirring and brush placed deeper in bottle. And that CP is actually permeating threads.

Post 17 Dec 2021, 12:43 • #5 
Sport
I find that adding inconsistent amounts of CP on my threads led to variations in color, so that may be what you're running into.
Penetration may be a factor too, as threads wrapped too tightly may not get fully soaked.

Post 18 Dec 2021, 11:54 • #6 
Master Guide
“Penetration may be a factor too, as threads wrapped too tightly may not get fully soaked.“

^^^ If you’ve eliminated all other variables, agree that this may be the diagnosis of exclusion.

Please let us know what you deduce.

Post 18 Dec 2021, 16:49 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I agree that tension is a big factor. These wraps don't have a guide foot, and have had a lot of work put into them.

Possible issues: tension, finger oil, time spent between wrapping and applying cp, thickness of the CP, not getting the cp fully saturated to the edge of the thread. If there is any thread left untreated or a tunnel, finish will suck up underneath and darken everything. Varnish is more likely to penetrate under the cp than epoxy.

I usually thin my CP with water (I use the white stuff) and do at least 2, and usually 3 or 4 thin coats.

Post 20 Dec 2021, 17:25 • #8 
Master Guide
New wraps down CP applied. Looks good.

But instead of putting thread finish on tonight . . .

gathering info on cleaning the wraps post CP application.

Cleaning wraps (to which I’ve applied CP) before applying Threadmaster. I usually apply a very small quick swipe of isopropyl alcohol before applying thread finish . I let it dry then apply. That’s to clear up any oils or contamination on threads or when applying 2nd coat of thread finish.

I’m wondering if anyone cleans their CP wraps too. I don’t use CP a lot but looking to see if there may be a way as not to cause any possible negative affect when prepping before applying finish.

Thanks.

Post 23 Dec 2021, 14:28 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
"Cleaning wraps (to which I’ve applied CP) before applying Threadmaster. I usually apply a very small quick swipe of isopropyl alcohol before applying thread finish . I let it dry then apply. That’s to clear up any oils or contamination on threads or when applying 2nd coat of thread finish. I’m wondering if anyone cleans their CP wraps too. I don’t use CP a lot but looking to see if there may be a way as not to cause any possible negative affect when prepping before applying finish."

I never touch or clean the CP'd wraps. It might not hurt to do so but it shouldn't be necessary. IMO.

Post 23 Dec 2021, 18:13 • #10 
Master Guide

Didn’t do any of the “cleaning” that I do with a quick swipe of rubbing alcohol from the finger tip - not a dousing. Nonetheless, (even though I’ve done this before) I won’t be doing it anymore. Just 2 applications of CP. Maybe I had the old wraps packed too much, who knows.

What a build! And I don’t mean that in a good way. I’ll post about the build in Winter Builds.

Thanks for the input.

Post 23 Dec 2021, 22:29 • #11 
Master Guide
Beautiful

New Topic Add Reply