It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:59

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Dec 2021, 23:20 • #1 
Master Guide
Does anyone know who made the metal reel seats that Mark Steffen used on his 6/7 and 7/8 rods? I’d like to use the same reel seat on a McFarland GTX 7wt build, but I can’t seem to find the same reel seat anywhere online. Below is a picture of the reel seat on a 6/7 built by Mark Steffen.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 15:57 • #2 
Sport
Looks like a Pacific Bay A6 flush mount. The larger sizes and the Channel Lock series both have a bore size which allows mounting on larger butts without a stent. You can find these most anywhere, here's an example...

https://store.hookhack.com/A6-Flush-Mount-Chrome/productinfo/PBSSA6T/

Sharp looking reel seat in aluminum and I’m guessing Steffen used those due to their accommodating bore size. You can get A6 with wood inserts, but like so many woodies it’s a rather small hole and risky to enlarge that much (it’s wood).

Be aware that many fly reel seats in this caliber kinda assume fighting butts and you may have to purchase the butt cap separately if you want one. Check details when purchasing.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 22:25 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks, Joe! I knew someone here would come through. I think you’re right about the A6. I looked at several other Pacific Bay seats in my search, but I missed the A6. Thanks for pointing out the fighting butt assumption. I’ll be using a fighting butt, but it may help someone who looks back on this thread.

The A6 a great looking reel seat on my Steffen rods with a brushed aluminum finish that hides minor scratches and ages well. It has worked flawlessly with any reel I put on it. I’ll be sure to post an update when the build is complete.

New Topic Add Reply