It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:27

New Topic Add Reply
O rings for ferrules
Post 02 Dec 2021, 12:23 • #1 
Master Guide
Thinking of redoing an old Heddon. It’s got those Sizematic ferrules and the o ring is shot. I’ve tried the hardware and plumbing places but so far nothing works. Thoughts/ideas/sources thanks

Re: O rings for ferrules
Post 02 Dec 2021, 16:43 • #2 
Administrator
Try a couple of ACE hardware stores. They have a better stock of little parts in the drawers.

Tom

Post 02 Dec 2021, 17:09 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Gary, a couple years ago I picked up some o-rings. I think at Ace HW. I will see if I have any stashed away. What size?

Post 02 Dec 2021, 20:21 • #4 
Guide
Most auto parts stores carry a variety of sizes, in metric and standard . Good luck on your search

Post 03 Dec 2021, 06:03 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
eBay is where I buy O-rings instead of running around to a bunch of different stores and coming up empty. eBay is also cheaper most of the time and there is a better selection although you won't be able to buy just one. You can also find EPDM O-Rings on eBay which are ozone & sunlight resistant. Most hardware stores just stock Buna-N Nitrile O-Rings.

There are lots of size charts for O-rings out there on the Internet. Besides OD & ID of the O-ring, the thickness is also important. If it's too lose and too fat, it will roll off. If it is too tight, it will probably break pretty quick.

If you have a dial caliper, start by measuring the OD of the O-ring groove and the OD of the male ferrule to approximate the size required and start looking at the charts.

Good luck!

Post 03 Dec 2021, 09:07 • #6 
Guide
The most common o-ring size chart is AS568 so just google that and you'll get plenty of links. The dash no. sizes in AS568 are the same as the mil-spec dash nos. and and other standards so once the dash number is determined you're good for just about any o-ring size spec. As Bamboozle suggests, EPDM is an excellent material choice, it doesn't dry rot and will long outlast BunaN, although Buna is a good choice as well. One thing to be aware of if you choose an EPDM elastomer is that if you use lubricants it can be damaged by some comon oils and greases so I'd suggest trying the lube on some spare orings before using.

Post 03 Dec 2021, 10:23 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
If the ferrule fits well, you can use the rod without the O-ring. These are "sizematic" in that the O-ring compensates for the dimensional instability of the aluminum ferrule. If rebuilding a rod, I would just be rid of it and install a conventional metal ferrule.

Post 04 Dec 2021, 07:22 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
speck wrote:
...One thing to be aware of if you choose an EPDM elastomer is that if you use lubricants it can be damaged by some common oils and greases so I'd suggest trying the lube on some spare orings before using.

Silicone paste is the stuff you want to use. If you use Molykote 111 (which is food safe) on your water filter O-rings or valves, you have a lifetime supply. Otherwise it and other options are readily available and sold as O-ring grease, and they can double as line & leader grease or fly floatant. ;)

However as Whrlpool says, you can use it without the O-ring. I have one rod with a Sizematic ferrule and I don't think it's had an O-ring since the 1990's.

Post 14 Dec 2021, 21:32 • #9 
Sport
Hi,
Over the past 5 years I've bought and sold at least 10 Heddons that needed the O-rings. I've always been successful at Ace Hardware as well, if they have the bins and drawers with washers, nuts, and O-rings. I can't remember the size, but recall it was literally the smallest one in the O-ring bin. I bought my fist fly rod, a Heddon Mark IV #8457 in 1965 that had those ferrules, and my Dad sent me one of his buddy's Ace Hardware store in Racine, WI, to find a replacement when I lost the O-ring, way back when...

New Topic Add Reply