It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:53

New Topic Add Reply
replacing cork handle
Post 01 Dec 2021, 00:11 • #1 
Hello,
My name is Christian Cabal, Im from Garland, Texas.
Someone gave me an old Shakespeare "Wonderod". I have it paired with a Shakepeare Automatic OK fly reel,
I started fishing with it, and enjoy it, but unfortunately the cork handle is starting to fall apart. I have temporarily fixed some of it with wood glue, but am wondering, should I try to completely replace the cork handle? Is that an easy thing to do? Has anyone done that before on an old rod? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Post 01 Dec 2021, 10:06 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I'm just going to list some previous threads that might help-
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=72210
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12374
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1854
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44203
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50176

and there may be a tutorial or two that will help here https://www.proofflyfishing.com/pages/tutorials

Post 01 Dec 2021, 23:38 • #3 
Master Guide
Look down the butt section's female ferrule to see if the rod blank is hollow or not ....... or see if you can insert a wire down the blank from the ferrule.

Some of he older model Wonderod models were each assembled on a lightweight balsa mandrel that was left inside the blanks and didn't adversely effect performance at all. But it would make 1) cutting the rod at the front of the reel seat, 2) removing the old cork / installing new cork, and 3) using a stent to connect the cut pieces a bit more complicated. Even some of the lightweight early "Panfish Specials" with excellent actions were originally constructed like this.

New Topic Add Reply