It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:44

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Nov 2021, 21:52 • #1 
Sport
Did not see this answered previously...but the OD on the butt end of the GTX blank is .52, which significantly limits the choices for reel seats. For those who have built the GTX blanks, what are you using for reel seats?

Post 22 Nov 2021, 00:26 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
This is not specific to the GTX blanks, but having built a few rods with large diameter butt sections, there are a couple of options I use:

(1) A stent is an effective solution to accommodate smaller internal diameters. This allows you to use any reel seat you like.

(2) All metal reel seats usually have a larger ID, and there are several good options from a variety of sources. I really like this one (or, a similar version with a removable cap and fighting butt), from Custom Fly Rod Crafters, and the Lemke LC10 is another great choice.

Post 22 Nov 2021, 01:12 • #3 
Sport
A "stent" meaning you create somewhat of a reverse ferrule for the real seat? Does anyone make those or are they custom?

Last edited by EasyRider on 22 Nov 2021, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Nov 2021, 04:36 • #4 
Sport
I used a Lemke LC20 for an upcoming build and had a professional woodworker turn up a very fine insert to fit.

Post 22 Nov 2021, 05:06 • #5 
Master Guide
Yes, a stent is exactly like a spigot ferrule, just used to reduce the butt diameter to accommodate your reel seat choice when you have “truck axel” butt diameters.
I use Carbon Fiber material from Goodwinds, they specialize in making Carbon and Fiberglass tubing for markets other than fishing rods. Their material has wall thickness that will have plenty of strength but still light weight enough so it will not add extra weight to your build.
Most if not all Tom Morgan blanks will come with a Stent, .375 diameter, outside diameter.
I buy the material in a couple of diameters, cut it to proper length, sometimes it needs to go into lathe and sanded down a bit to mate into the inside of the butt section for a proper fit.
Then I cut some of the butt section off, length determined by my reel seat choice so I do not change the overall length of the section. It’s pretty easy to do if you have the right tooling and your handy.

Post 22 Nov 2021, 05:22 • #6 
Master Guide
I too use the carbon fiber from Goodwinds for stents. I've tried several materials and this is the lightest. Gorilla glue is perfect for gluing them into the blank as it expands while curing.

--Rich

Post 22 Nov 2021, 09:30 • #7 
Master Guide
Check out proofflyfishing.com for solid fiberglass stints and video tutorial showing how to install just for this situation.

Post 22 Nov 2021, 10:00 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Lots of options described here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71893&p=396258&hilit=reel+seat#p396197 and continuing through the thread.

Post 22 Nov 2021, 12:55 • #9 
Sport
Thank you everyone...is there a consensus on how far the stent should overlap into the rod to ensure strength? And is there any recommendation to wrap the rod at the overlap to add strength?

Post 23 Nov 2021, 01:40 • #10 
Administrator
Consensus? In rod building?

I suggest a 2-3" overlap. There is no need to wrap the stent joint to add strength. The rod butt is the strongest part of the rod and the stent will be epoxied in place.

Tom

Post 23 Nov 2021, 06:31 • #11 
Guide
I have used a (made for) Robert Meiser reel seat who sells components and deals with large diameters, as he is making spey tods. As of today, I have one in transit at this moment for a large fiberglass blank, also with a .52 OD

Post 23 Nov 2021, 23:34 • #12 
Sport
LOL...I should have known before I asked. I guess my concern is that I've only had 2 rods break on me and one was at the ferrule insert. Ever since then I am a bit over cautious about wrapping...

I generally agree that the butt end is strong, but the blank walls on the GTX are pretty thin at the butt end...

New Topic Add Reply