It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:16

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Nov 2021, 18:55 • #1 
Sport
I picked up this spin-or-cast rod today for $15 at an estate sale. It is in good shape, but it is missing one guide so I'll need to do some wrapping. Does anyone know of a matching color thread? The thread on the rod is darker (but similar in hue) to ProWrap 755, Chestnut. None of the other ProWap colors seem close. Also, are there any recommendations on a foulproof guide model that might be a good match?
Here is all the information printed on the rod: Fenwick; L 83061; SF75-5 7 1/2 ' 4 7/8 oz; AFTMA Fly Line No. 6; 1/8 - 3/8 oz. Lures 2 - 6 lb. Line; Charles Farmer; Voyageur (with airplane and canoe logos); Twist On . Twist Off; Lubricate with Paraffin; U.S. Pat. 3.186.122; Feralite; Made in U.S.A.
I did some casting in the road this afternoon in very windy conditions. I began with a WF-7 and then went down to WF-6. The rod performed well with both lines, but was exceptional with WF-6. Here are some photos. Thread color is pretty true-to-life in the last two closeups.
Best wishes.
Mitch

Post 19 Nov 2021, 22:31 • #2 
Administrator
Forum search is your friend! Search for Fenwick thread in the keywords. There have been many past discussions and debates on the best match.

However, it is nearly impossible to match 50 year old thread work on any rod. The thread on your rod has faded and the finish has aged. If you want all the wraps to match exactly, rewrap the whole rod.

Tom

Post 20 Nov 2021, 13:35 • #3 
Sport
Thanks, Tom. I'll do a search.
Best wishes.

Post 20 Nov 2021, 14:14 • #4 
Administrator
Oops. I didn't realize I was sending you down a deep rabbit hole with over 900 hits for Fenwick thread. Try Fenwick "thread color" (with the quotes) and you will get just over 50 search hits.

The "Charles Farmer" on the rod is probably a previous owner's name. The name was probably over-coated with rod finish, or it would have worn off by now.
  • L 83061 - the serial number (made in 1973/74)
  • SF75-5 7 1/2 ' 4 7/8 oz - the model number, rod length, and approximate weight
  • AFTMA Fly Line No. 6; 1/8 - 3/8 oz. Lures 2 - 6 lb. Line - the matching fly line or lure weight
  • Charles Farmer - a previous owner's name
  • Voyageur (with airplane and canoe logos) - the model line. Around 1970 Fenwick added the Voyageur name and expanded their lineup of multipiece rods
  • Twist On . Twist Off; Lubricate with Paraffin - good advice from Fenwick on how to keep the ferrules alive for decades. Make sure they are clean too!

While finding a matching thread won't be easy, finding a replacement guide may be harder still. If you never use spinning tackle, you might consider replacing the spinning guides with fly guides. While the grip is "mojo rich", it looks in good shape and will probably fish like that for another 50 years.

Tom

Post 20 Nov 2021, 16:05 • #5 
Sport
Thanks, Tom. I noticed the first (largest) guide is reversed, compared with the others. Is that typical for this type of rod? Also, you are right about the cork--it feels dense and solid all around. I will take it fishing a few times before deciding whether to leave the rod as a spin-fly or to convert all the guides to fly. I really have enjoyed casting the rod with fly line in the road--I can see why so many people speak highly of Fenwicks.
Best wishes.

Post 21 Nov 2021, 07:55 • #6 
Sport
I think these are "Gudebrod Aetna " guides. The instructions that came with complete sets back in the day say to install the first guide this way for "better line flow" with all spinning reels. If it really makes a difference who knows.

Post 21 Nov 2021, 08:52 • #7 
Sport
Thank you, Fisherman911. I will see if I can find some old stock Gudebrod Aetna guides in the size I need.
Best wishes.

Post 23 Nov 2021, 14:37 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
kanokie wrote:
noticed the first (largest) guide is reversed, compared with the others. Is that typical for this type of rod?

huh interesting. I have the same rod, and never noticed that before.. mine is the same, so must be intentional.

Agree it's true to weight, good old Cortland 444 6wt or similar is best for me.

As Tom says, there's no matching for wraps that old. I used Gudebrod #5274 chestnut brown on a FF75-4 to wrap over a couple of abrasions, and it's nothing like the Voyageur wraps although it matches a different older Fenwick quite well..

New Topic Add Reply