It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:30

New Topic Add Reply
Cracked Female Ferrule
Post 12 Nov 2021, 01:01 • #1 
Sport
I just purchased an R.L. Winston BIIX Spey Rod (14'0" 8/9 wt. 4 pc.) on eBay. Sadly it has a very small crack in the top ferrule that extends for about 3/16" through the fiber/epoxy from the outside to the inside. Otherwise, the rod is perfect. Is this something I should be concerned about? Would it be an easy repair?

Last edited by neuralize on 12 Nov 2021, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

Post 12 Nov 2021, 11:04 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
The search function (upper right of the frame) is your friend on this one. Try various wordings such as "cracked female ferrule" or "loose female ferrule"

Post 12 Nov 2021, 12:16 • #3 
Administrator
Send it back.

If you purchased the rod at a considerable discount and you knew it was damaged, then keep it and make the repair. But if you paid for an undamaged rod you should get an undamaged rod. Especially with a graphite/boron composite, where a visible flaw implies other less visible flaws may be lurking in the shadows.

There is nothing rare or compelling or rare about a BIIX that should lead anyone to settle for a damaged example. Send it back and find a better one.

Tom

Post 12 Nov 2021, 13:24 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Tom is correct on this one. And it looks like multiple cracks when zoomed in, not just one.

Post 12 Nov 2021, 13:44 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Lots of female ferrules (fiberglass anyway) have that type of cracking and it really isn't a big deal and never seems to cause issues.
Other materials aren't so forgiving, and it certainly isn't the way a ferrule should look.

If it was mine and I was going to use it, I would work a little superglue into the crack and go fishing

Post 13 Nov 2021, 20:05 • #6 
Guide
What's surprising is that there is any crack in the female ferrule of a contemporary graphite rod. There should be a reinforcing flag at the ferrule of unidirectional graphite running at 90 degrees to the run of the rod to prevent cracking. That crack suggests there is no ferrule reinforcement, or inadequate ferrule reinforcment. It's going to get worse, and trimming it off will only move the probem up the rod. I'd return it.

Post 15 Nov 2021, 07:47 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Given the forces that are put on a Spey rod, I would be concerned. It was probably forced on to get a good fit.

I would also call Winston about it. Let them answer this question. From the photo, it is hard to identify how bad the problem really is, but if you're hoping to put a Salmon on that fish, I would get it checked out thoroughly first. On the other hand, Just think. there's a 50-50 chance you will hit the rod tip with a lead-eyed intruder before the ferrule breaks (that's my poor attempt at humor).

I also would re-ask this question over on the spey pages to get a better assessment.

Post 16 Nov 2021, 00:12 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
It almost looks to me like there has already been an attempt at repairing it.I would put a claim in with ebay for your money back.If you used Paypal you can also put in a claim with them,but try ebay first.Both have been pretty fair with me on claims.

Post 16 Nov 2021, 08:59 • #9 
Master Guide
I second putting in a claim ..... contact the seller first.

Post 18 Nov 2021, 13:06 • #10 
Sport
I did some further investigation on the inside of the ferrule and found cracks extending down at least an inch; that's as far as I could see. The seller agreed to give me a refund and the rod was returned yesterday. Thanks all for your suggestions.

New Topic Add Reply