It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:09

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Apr 2022, 20:07 • #126 
Master Guide
MrJesse, holy cow! What threads?

Post 22 Apr 2022, 07:00 • #127 
Guide
I'll look tonight and post the colors. Pro Wrap NOCP I'm pretty sure. Finish is 4 coats of helmsman spar urethane.

Post 23 Apr 2022, 09:38 • #128 
Master Guide
Much appreciated. When you find the time, no rush.

Post 01 May 2022, 21:45 • #129 
Master Guide

Welp, its not winter anymore. Atleast not down here.

With a steffen blank in the wings, I finally got motivated to get the Iconoglass 4wt project moving again. Pictured next to my darling FF70 which served loosely as a model for the grip. I only have sand paper up to 150, Ill go get grits through 320 tomorrow. It feels good in hand already. DIY rod wrapping stands are cut out and ready for screws and glue. My guess, Ill have to rod wrapping stands ready to go tomorrow as well as the reel seat glued in place.

Post 04 May 2022, 11:35 • #130 
Master Guide

Well with the move and all this is the only build I got done all Winter. And now it’s Spring.
NFC Euro nymph blank
Sorry it’s not glass but it’s a build.

Post 05 May 2022, 07:16 • #131 
Guide
Where did you find a euro blank at NFC? I was looking the other day and had trouble finding something long and light enough.

Post 05 May 2022, 10:26 • #132 
Master Guide
It’s their LMX 1004-4 graphite. I already have a 3 wt Euro rod from Hook and Hackle and was hoping for another 3 wt. this came up on sale and for the quality and lightness I couldn’t beat the deal.

Post 06 May 2022, 06:57 • #133 
Guide
Ah, its a 4wt. I've been on the lookout for a 10' 2wt from them but their longer graphite blanks stop at 4wt. Thanks!

I actually built out a 1005-4 for a buddy of mine who lives out west. He wanted a longer, yet stronger nymphing rod. I was impressed with the LMX blanks. Wish they would make one in 10' 2 or 3wt

Post 06 May 2022, 08:22 • #134 
Custom Fly Rod Crafters has several Euro blanks in 2,3 , and 4 weights . I built a 2 and 3 weight
and like them as well as my Wife's Sage ESN.

Post 11 May 2022, 16:55 • #135 
Master Guide
I learned more from my Winter build than any other. Maybe it’s because I spent so much time on it.

What I think were the most important things gained from the McFarland Ameriglass 8’ #5:

- Be confident.
- Have a definite plan.

I entered the project wanting what I eventually built. But I felt pressured to avoid a simple build or a style that builders push into the market on cheap rods. However, I do like minimalist builds.

Essentially, I built this out about 3 times. I have some Steffen blanks and will build out a rod with something more than translucent wraps.

Lawn casting was a grand experience. I loaded an Ocean City 35 with Air Cel 5 WF. The real seat is Lemke and guides are Snake Brand. Stripper is pac bay. Ritz grip. Low build wraps. Caput Mortuum trim bands to match reel seat - hard to see the color in the sun.

Post 12 May 2022, 22:57 • #136 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice work. Personally, I am a fan of the simple builds. Nothing wrong with going fancy, of course, but I prefer a more minimal aesthetic. And you nailed it. Well done.

Post 13 May 2022, 06:22 • #137 
Glass Fanatic
Panfish, that is a very nice build on a very nice blank. You have done the minimalist build well, and the time you spent on it shows. I definitely agree that spending the time and doing the rework is a great teacher.

I don't know what you have in mind for a next build, but sometimes I find the minimalist builds boring and I like to spice it up. Nylon thread, color preserver, fancy reelseats and even burl/rubberized cork haver their place. Minimalist builds are hard, because every error shows. Color preserver any nylon thead are easier to work with, but the minimalist builds are rewarding, if you have the discipline.

Post 13 May 2022, 13:15 • #138 
Master Guide
Very nice indeed!

Post 13 May 2022, 16:21 • #139 
Master Guide
Excellent build, Panfish. I’m also in the minimalist camp with you - I love clear thread wraps, especially on yellow and white blanks. I’ll be referencing builds like yours often as I’m planning my first build soon.

Carlz, useful advice on the extra level of difficulty of minimalist builds. I will take your advice into account when planning my build details.

Post 20 May 2022, 14:08 • #140 
Master Guide
Thanks a bunch. I think just being confident in my builds will go a long way in properly planning and completing my projects.

Mostly using small flies, I went wading for panfish. I used Air Cel 5 WF. However, I bought 5 DT 406 Fly Lines. Very nice. Occasionally, I nymph for trout. So, it’ll be nice to have then too. I fish for warm water species on streams mostly fed by springs and don’t warm up too much - though a few do. So, I think some of the trout lines I use occasionally will be fine.

Next up, McFarland Ameriglass #4. Should I go with orange or green thread? Hmmm.

Post 29 May 2022, 17:20 • #141 
Master Guide
I'm late posting this winter build, I wanted to wait until I fished this rod hard. I bought this Yellow Fenwick FL102 7 last winter for $19.00 at a 2nd hand store. it appeared to have had a really hard previous life. The butt was short by about 4"+ and had a small crack in the blank at the spigot ferrule end. The tip also had a small crack about 1/2" long at the female end. it had no cork grip and someone had re-wrapped all the guides with what appeared to be green diamond braid covered with epoxy. Where the grip used to be was also green diamond braid, (2 layers) and that held in place with epoxy. I had some pictures but somehow accidentally deleted them. The rod was pretty ugly IMHO!
Besides the original price of $19.00, i only spent $18.00 on a full wells grip from Proof, and kept the original guides, and reelseat. The rod was stripped, i was able to get the reelseat off and underneath was more green diamond braid! I added a stent to the butt section to bring it close to the original length. Guides were wrapped with green nylon thread, no color preserver. Grip and reelseat mounted.
I finally was able to fish this rod in early May for Lahontan Cutthroat. I fished it hard for 3 days landing many nice Lahontan Cutts in the upper teens and several over 20". I used full sinking WF 7 and was using #8-10 beadhead buggers. I thought the rod cast very well and held up well despites its issues, didnt feel clunky at all. I didnt double wrap the cracks at the ferrules, probably should have,, time will tell. Bruce

Post 02 Jun 2022, 00:08 • #142 
Guide
Very nice Paramount

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 New Topic Add Reply