It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:49

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Dec 2021, 07:59 • #26 
Master Guide

Picketpin, I’ll definitely be watching your build. I have a 3130 in the same color but different wraps.

McFarland 8’ #5 - dragged my feet while deciding how to do threads. Receive it in August. Still scribing.

McFarland 6’ #5 - made spigots using Dale’s book which I found for $6 at a used bookstore several years ago.

(Deleted old post)

Post 02 Dec 2021, 09:09 • #27 
Glass Fanatic

Paint remover, steel wool and elbow grease took off years of grime and old paint. A good wash in warm water and dishsoap, then a rinse and dry.

The blank is a beautiful dark olive green with visible glass weave pattern. It's neat looking. I have not seen anything like it before. Maybe the tint is remaining stubborn green paint that stripper could not lift? The pigment seems almost embedded in the weave.

I clearcoated the blank with spar varnish. Now playing with threads and guides. The original rod had 5 guides. I will add guides. Next steps will tell number and placement. Original cork and reel seat cleaned up nicely.

This one will be fun.

Post 02 Dec 2021, 12:10 • #28 
Master Guide
That is the coolest color glass I think I’ve ever seen. Happy accident?

Post 03 Dec 2021, 08:34 • #29 
Guide
That green glass looks like Orchard Industries actionglass to me. I have one that was sold to me as a bass rod, its a very old and heavy 6wt.

Post 03 Dec 2021, 08:50 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Really? Would love to see a picture Mr. J.
Is it painted green?

Post 03 Dec 2021, 09:58 • #31 
Master Guide
Picketpin, I am envious. Can’t wait for more photos.

Post 03 Dec 2021, 14:02 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Gheeze Pat, that's what is under that pukey blue-green rod? I have a SB 3150 rod (not the one I am currently rebuilding) with that green color prepreg with just a clear-coat over it. That rod is going to be quite a rebuild.

Post 03 Dec 2021, 18:20 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Haha...that is the underneath!!! I call it "Swamp King" lol

Post 06 Dec 2021, 09:36 • #34 
Guide
I'll see if I can get you guys a picture of the action glass tonight!

Post 06 Dec 2021, 13:08 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
The Swamp King, eh.

Mr Jessie, that would be interesting.

Post 06 Dec 2021, 13:28 • #36 
Master Guide
Two rods that I just finished. They are the "Almost" winter builds, close enough I guess.

First up is the Meadow II 8' 3/4 wt blank purchased from Matt at Proof flyfishing. I used a mildrum stripper, dark Snake Brand universal guides, grip and winding check are from Proof, and DL reelseat from Ray lee. Guides were wrapped using 3/0 silk #179 (rust) from anglers workshop, finished with MOW spar, no cp. The reelseat was originally not blued so to match the guides, winding check and stripper I used Perma Blue gun paste until I got the look I wanted. I really like the color of this blank and hope to cast and fish the rod soon.

Next is a HI Mohawk 1408 1/2. This rod I only refinished and added a few extra vintage guides. I was given this rod, and to be honest, I'm really not sure I like the action. To be nice I would call it willowy, some may call it noodley, or a buggy whip. Wont know until I cast it so I didnt want to spend $ adding new components.
I stripped the rod and applied 8-10 coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-oil, wraps are size A silk #824 (copper) from anglers workshop. I used Al's cp on the wraps and finished with MOW spar.

Post 06 Dec 2021, 21:11 • #37 
Guide
Here’s my actionrod from orchard industries. Hard to get a good pic but I think you get the idea!

Post 07 Dec 2021, 15:45 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
Paramount - I really like what you did with that Proof blank. Been thinking about that blank for a while. Let us know about the action of the rod when you can. I built on one of his orange 4wt 7 1/2’ three piece blanks earlier this test and found it to be way too stiff from I expected.

Post 07 Dec 2021, 16:35 • #39 
Master Guide
Retiredfisher1, Thankyou for the kind words. As soon as I can cast the rod I will post the results. I only have a DT 4 no 3 but I have a buddy who may have one. Did you see the other post in (Rod Photos about the Meadow II?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=72965#p401931

Bruce

Post 07 Dec 2021, 17:07 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Mr. Jessie, that certainly looks like Hexel glass weave, and the tinting appears to be in the resin. A little darker than the SB green color though. Perhaps the exposure to sunlight has caused the colors to shift. I know the sunlight exposed colors of the SB rod has shifted darker.

It is also interesting that the thread looks like the same colors as the thread on Paramount 51's HI Mohawk. Maybe that was a hot color combination back then, and used by more than one company. Do you have pictures of the rod's reel seat, grip, markings, etc.? I doubt those green rods are the same manufacture, but who knows.

Post 07 Dec 2021, 17:27 • #41 
Master Guide
Mrjesse
Did you totally strip that Action glass rod down to bare glass? Mine has a brownish copper finish to it. Which I may keep and just dona clean and overcoat.

Post 08 Dec 2021, 08:06 • #42 
Guide
Cheffy - the pictures I posted were the rod in raw, dirty, dusty, untouched state. that rod needs ALOT of love. Its dirty, the wraps are all missing any type of finish on them, a few are coming off entirely. the cork appears to be the cheapest possible cork ever used on planet earth, and it is WELL used. So no, nothing has been done to it. I did fish it once with bass poppers. i don't think I'll ever do anything with it unless I'm really hard up for a restore and rebuild project. I acquired it from a guy in a package of 3 fly rods when I was first starting out with fly fishing. I think it was just a throw in for him.

archfly - I agree. the rod does NOT look that dark in person - I don't have great lighting in my kitchen where I took the pics unfortunately. the markings on the rod are actually visible on some of the pics (I think) but they are REALLY hard to see even in person. They are black, over top of the dark green blank. they say "action rod" and they have a line designation. Looks like maybe CFG or CFC or GFG.

Here's another pic of the writing:

Post 08 Dec 2021, 17:07 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
Mr. Jesse, thanks for the pics of your ActionRod. To me the blank looks not green but a dark charcoal color. Give it a good thrashin with a paint stripper, a scotch brite, maybe while sippin a scotch, or two -- and see its true colors. If you want to see it shine, give it a nice clearcoat. I used spar varnish on mine.

I am getting ready to do guides testing on my SB 8'er. Original rod had 5 guides. Will test with 8 or 9 guides. Will the blank go into shock? LOL!

Post 08 Dec 2021, 17:07 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
bought a new Struble reelseat on the sale, just because my last graphite build was a Sage LL 905-3 for which I picked a Struble reelseat to enjoy it every time I put a reel on.. such a handsome nicely made reelseat.
So now I need to find a blank, good problem I guess.

That's backed up behind a couple of cane rod refinishes though.

An Aberdeen Sharpes rebranded as Norm Thompson by Farlows, 7' 10 3/4". Quite fishable after resetting the ferrules, but dowdy. I have the exact color match in thread for it, will rewrap and perk it up. The ferrules are bronze rather than nickel silver, the cane impregnated with resin. I like it a lot.

repaired ferrule and new thread,

it fishes, tossing a #6 salmonfly on 6wt DT,

A South Bend 290, 7' 6" 5wt. Really a delightful rod, was missing a tiptop, loose ferrules and reelseat. Fixed all that and fished it this summer. Varnish is degraded so also needs a rewrap. I have an exact match in color, the tiger orange/black thread, though mine is a relatively coarse nylon thread. Still trying to decide whether to use that or redo the colors with a pale green silk and red tips, that's a lot more work though.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 13:12 • #45 
Guide
Picketpin - I'm telling you, this blank color is GREEN - just hard to see it in pics. If you (or anyone else in the forum) would like it as a 6/7wt rod I'd be happy to ship to them for just the cost of shipping. It would be a great first project for someone looking to refurbish a rod and learn a little bit about rod building. Just send me a PM!

Post 09 Dec 2021, 14:06 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
Mr. J, appreciate your generosity. I will pass, but maybe another forum member will accept your offer. If you say it's green, than it's so. With pictures it's not always easy to see true color. Best to photograph outdoors in daylight. Thanks again for sharing. And i began today wrapping Swamp King in green and black jasper. It looks like an alligator in jungle camo.

Post 10 Dec 2021, 23:59 • #47 
Master Guide
A first for me. Overnight, blank fell out of chock on rod turner. Has been fun.

Post 13 Dec 2021, 13:01 • #48 
Master Guide
Love that Payne 101 build

Post 13 Dec 2021, 15:22 • #49 
Glass Fanatic

I decided on 9 guides for my rebuild of a South Bend 8' #3150. Guide placement is done and i am testing Black and yellow jasper thread. Picture of jasper wrapped hook keeper and red thread trim bands. Here, a third coat of polycrylic has just been applied as CP. For me, it's always a crapshoot with polycrylic. The acid test will be to see if the color stays true after applying spar varnish as a top coat.

Post 13 Dec 2021, 16:17 • #50 
Master Guide
That is an interesting green blank on the SB. Looking good so far.

Bruce

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply