It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:21

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Dec 2021, 16:34 • #51 
Glass Fanatic

I think the blank is pretty cool loking but every time i look at the thread it just looks to me like bakery twine. LOL. I might rip it all off and begin again. LOL.

Last edited by picketpin52 on 14 Dec 2021, 08:15, edited 2 times in total.

Post 13 Dec 2021, 17:07 • #52 

Off to a good start on the 580. The madness continues!

Post 13 Dec 2021, 19:11 • #53 
Master Guide
Nice!!

Post 13 Dec 2021, 21:36 • #54 
Master Guide
Ditto!

Post 14 Dec 2021, 08:06 • #55 
Glass Fanatic
Grip looking good!

Post 14 Dec 2021, 15:12 • #56 
Master Guide

Getting a slow start on this project. Between moving and resetting up the shop it’s been an adventure.
Anyway. This one is interesting. There is an almost chrome undercoat. There a a few small paint chips that I may try to fix. Probably new cork but may keep the original seat

Post 14 Dec 2021, 15:36 • #57 
Master Guide
Looks like there's going to be a few ActionGlas rods. Just started mine and I plan on restoring/refinish it, no new components.

Bruce

Post 14 Dec 2021, 18:42 • #58 
Glass Fanatic
Well it seems the winter builds are starting to heat up.

Post 15 Dec 2021, 13:07 • #59 
Master Guide
Pulled the reel seat on the Action glass. Interesting paint job.
There is an almost chrome layer under the coppery brown. There are a few chips in the copper paint where the chrome is showing through. Not a big deal but they keep staring at me.
Tell me if this is a hair brained idea. Scrap some of the copper paint off from under the grip and dissolve it in some type of solvent like maybe acetone and hope it actually turns into a usable paint.
Option two. Go to the hobby shop and find something close.

Post 15 Dec 2021, 13:34 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
Hey Gary,
If it's just a small amount of paint needed for touch up work, i'd try option one. If that doesnt pan out, go option two. My two cents.

Post 20 Dec 2021, 17:26 • #61 
Master Guide
New wraps down CP applied (had issue with previous wraps). Looks good.

But instead of putting thread finish on tonight . . .

gathering info on cleaning the wraps post CP application.

Cleaning wraps (to which I’ve applied CP) before applying Threadmaster. I usually apply a very small quick swipe of isopropyl alcohol before applying thread finish . I let it dry then apply. That’s to clear up any oils or contamination on threads or when applying 2nd coat of thread finish.

I’m wondering if anyone cleans their CP wraps too. I don’t use CP a lot but looking to see if there may be a way as not to cause any possible negative affect when prepping before applying finish.

Thanks.

Post 20 Dec 2021, 17:54 • #62 
Master Guide
I never wipe the wraps after cp. it could affect it. If you are worried about contamination Inwould apply another coat. When using cp I usually do three coats.

Post 20 Dec 2021, 21:33 • #63 
Glass Fanatic
I never clean, or add anything to thread after CP. I also do 3 coats. Then I finish with spar varnish. I'm using polycrylic as CP over yellow and black jasper nylon, on my Heddon rebuild. Going pretty good so far, but one guide foot may have been wrapped and/or packed too tight. The telltale sign is that the jasper, or 'tiger' pattern appears smooshed together.

Post 21 Dec 2021, 08:05 • #64 
Master Guide
I always do 2 to 3 initial coats but just enough to soak in each time. Let that dry at least an hour and then apply 1 or 2 more. Let it dry 24 hours-ish and apply Threadmaster. I’ve used CP just a few times and did a little swipe with Isopropyl but maybe not anymore.

Picketpin, I had a slight issue on my winding check wraps. I wrapped natural YLI then made some accent wraps - for proper measurement. Then I pulled off the YLI and used CP on the accent wraps - 10 turns with tipping on either side. After it dried, I rewrapped with natural silk and made it translucent. I think when applying CP, I applied too hard and made the width of wraps just a little uneven but you’d have to be a rod builder to notice. I used a Taklon brush (usually use cheap craft brush) only because it was the proper width for those wraps I’ve just redone. I’ll show you a ferrule wrap. I’ve got my rod put up in the closet and too lazy to get up. If it was just a couple of accent wraps, I wouldn’t have done it this way. Sun wasn’t out so wraps are darker looking than normal.

Post 21 Dec 2021, 09:40 • #65 
Glass Fanatic
Very clever way of measuring length of main and accent wraps. It makes for a neat, precise, and finished look. As for your CP issue, the photo of the ferrule wrap looks just great. Not sure what you mean to illustrate.

When combining the use of CP thread, and non CP thread, with or without applying a color preserver, there are a lot of ways to play. And double-wrapping is always an option.

For instance, you could wrap a ferrule union with a base layer of non-cp thread. Put on a thin single coat of finish and let it dry. Then overwrap this with your choice of thread, stopping four turns short of the end of the base wrap. Now you have a four turn "tipping wrap" of base thread underneath your main thread wrap. It's not as confusing as it sounds.

Post 21 Dec 2021, 15:27 • #66 
Sport
Working on a Haldin 78.

Post 02 Jan 2022, 21:48 • #67 
Guide
Hi Gumby...

Post 04 Jan 2022, 19:39 • #68 
Guide
Hey all! More pics of the Payne 101 I’m just about finished on. I do have one wrap id love to take off but I didn’t decide until I applied 3 coats of spar urethane to it. Any easy ways of removing it wilting damaging the blank? I’ll rewrap and refinish if so. The area I’m looking to redo is around the ferrule on both tip tops.

Post 04 Jan 2022, 23:14 • #69 
Master Guide
Looks real good so far.

Are you talking about what looks like bleed through on the ferrule wraps.

Bruce

Post 05 Jan 2022, 10:07 • #70 
Guide
yup, the ferrule wraps are bothering me a little bit.

Post 05 Jan 2022, 10:37 • #71 
Glass Fanatic
I think they look cool!

Post 05 Jan 2022, 14:39 • #72 
Master Guide
If your just building the rod for you to fish you could just leave it unless it really bugs you. Building For someone else, you may want to replace the wraps. I've used a single edged razor blade to carefully cut and remove wraps without damaging the cane. Cut over the ferrule so you're not on the cane. You may have to remove the trim wraps too. After cutting sometimes you can just peel the wrap off.

Bruce

Post 12 Jan 2022, 16:19 • #73 
Master Guide
Im a little late to the party, but I just couldnt stand it any more. I dont have a 7'6" 4wt and Ive been considering the merits of building one for a while. I wanted a 4-5wt 4 piece rod as a lighter companion to my Fenwick pack rods. When I saw that the Iconoglass blanks were on sale for $75 ($120 out the door) I snagged one in 4wt, Gray. I have read that they can be a bit fast, but if its too fast I have no qualms about overlining it to a half line heavy wf or even a 5.

This is my first ever rod build and Im still in the conceptual phase. At this point Im thinking green thread (to compliment the heddon daisy that is sure to ride this rod) and a grip somewhere in the neighborhood of a 2 digit Fenwick grip or the Douglas upstream rod grips. Im not yet strongly convicted about down locking vs. sliding band though Id like to be on the light/minimalist side of things. Ill be sure to keep you guys posted. with any luck it will be ready in time for the bluegill spawn and the beginning of the spring brookie fishing.

Post 21 Jan 2022, 08:46 • #74 
Guide
Larry kenney 8055 blank build progress. Building this rod as part of my travel plan to portugal this coming summer. I bought the blank as one of Larry’s last remaining light colored blanks left. He was clear that this was a blem blank but I really had this color in my head when I planned for one of his rods. So far I’ve found a few tiny spots in the paint that aren’t perfect but that doesn’t matter to me!

Progress thus far:

Post 21 Jan 2022, 11:18 • #75 
Master Guide
Interesting cork grip on that Kenney 8055.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen one like that.
Curious…. what’s the back story? What inspired you to go with that shape?

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply