It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:49

New Topic Add Reply
Vintage Fenwick repair
Post 30 Oct 2021, 09:48 • #1 
I happened upon a Fenwick ff80 B series serial number (1960s I believe) that needed a guide replaced.

Removing the old guide, I find that the gold tipping is actually a mylar like material and the chestnut thread is overwound (with a space between the threads) over the mylar.

Anyone familiar with this material or technique?

Although there's no way the repair is going to match the patina of the original, I'd like to stay true to the original if I can. Plus it's a nice look and I'd consider it for other builds in the future.

Post 30 Oct 2021, 10:54 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Traditionally, the mylar was glued separately to the blank, and then the thread was wrapped over the mylar and coated. If all you are doing is replacing the wrap, you should be able to carefully remove the old thread, and just re-wrap over the mylar.

Post 30 Oct 2021, 12:07 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Archfly, I haven't done it in a long time, don't recall the details, and can't quite picture the use of mylar on this particular rod. Still, I think it is easy enough to replace the mylar as well, but only a good idea if it is damaged or blistering away from the blank. Perhaps you could comment from more recent experience. If I ran across that situation now, I would take the lazy easy route and remove all the mylar and just wrap. But retaining the original look is a good idea, too, so maybe the OP needs some info on mylar underlayment. One little advantage--or at least making a virtue of necessity--is that the mylar protects the blank from abrasion by a stressed or wiggly guide foot. So I would definitely inspect the feet if guides are reused, and check the condition of the mylar and blank where the guide foot sat.

Post 30 Oct 2021, 12:43 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Whrlpool, I have only done it twice, and it was years ago. I don't remember what glue was used, but I seem to recall that in trying to clean the glue off the blank it was very tacky and the glue tended to be left behind when you stripped the mylar itself off. I observed this on a fiberglass tomato stake I had to experiment with before touching the repair rod.

I did not want to get involved so, I opted instead, to remove the thread only. The mylar was visible at the end and under a series of decorative open wraps. The wraps left indentations in the mylar, and I carefully wound the new thread in those indentations to reproduce exactly what had been there before. Sorry, but mylar has never been one of my favorite decorative motifs.

Post 30 Oct 2021, 13:24 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I think Clemons (or someone) sold self adhesive Mylar tape, Barlow's Tackle has "lure tape" in solid colors that might work. Amazon has various self adhesive Mylars.

Post 30 Oct 2021, 14:22 • #6 
Thanks to you all. I'm going to go ahead and rewrap over the existing mylar, per archfly's suggestion, at it seems well adhered. Maybe I will try using fly tying mylar, or Christmas tinsel to duplicate the look in the future.

Post 30 Oct 2021, 16:43 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Between fly tying suppliers and craft stores, or among automotive products used in pinstriping, I'm sure you can find something suitable. But it makes perfect sense: if it ain't broke don't fix it. Would enjoy seeing before and after pics.

Post 30 Oct 2021, 17:32 • #8 
Administrator
ernestoB wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and rewrap over the existing mylar, per archfly's suggestion, at it seems well adhered.

Good plan. Do the easy fix. When the rod needs additional work, then decide how you want to proceed. Until then, fish the guides off it.

Tom

Post 30 Oct 2021, 23:22 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Racking my brain... we used to do the cool mylar thing when I was a kid, I can't recall glueing it to the blank....thinking...thinking...

Post 01 Nov 2021, 18:23 • #10 
Looking over many vintages of Fenwick rods I note that the "spaced wraps over mylar" seems to have been discontinued in the early 60's in favor of the chestnut wraps with ivory tipping. All the more reason to try and preserve it I guess. Thanks for all help.

Post 02 Nov 2021, 10:03 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Stupid non rod builder question, but was Mylar used on rods or was it metal foil of some kind and the term mylar is used generically to describe "shiny stuff?"

Or both...

Thanks in advance for the enlightenment. ;)

Post 02 Nov 2021, 10:10 • #12 
I don't know the answer to this. I haven't actually removed the material to see. Mylar was developed in the '50s (from Wikipedia), so it might be.

Post 02 Nov 2021, 16:49 • #13 
Guide
My old rod building buddy had mylar in sheets about the size of a note book paper.
It was gold on one side and silver on the other.He would cut a piece a little bigger than
he needed and then coat the area where the mylar was going

with thinned head cement.Then he would put the edge of the mylar in the cement and take a dry brush and paint it around the blank. Trim it with a razor blade and let it dry,and wrap the rods the next day.
That was in the late sixties and early seventies.
Mylar went out of fashion about then,in our area anyway.

Post 02 Nov 2021, 18:45 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I think both, as in flytying material--metallic foil to mylar. I think mylar prevailed early on as easier and as "plastic" or synthetic was accepted gradually, just as fiberglass was. Great question, and not sure. Hope someone will be.

New Topic Add Reply