It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:28

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Oct 2021, 08:53 • #1 
Sport
I have another beginner question. I'm cleaning up an old 8.5-ft. steel fly rod that I bought for $3 at a garage sale (Union Hardware, Torrington, Conn., USA). It's limber, and I love the way it casts a 6-WF line (it even does well with 5-WF). The cork needs to be replaced, and I don't think the Bakelite reel seat will survive removal. I don't want to spend much money on the rod, and I already have a spare CRB uplocking AFS8L2 reel seat that I'm not using. The hood on this reel seat is not recessed, and the end cap seems to fit either end. Since I'd prefer a downlocking seat for this rod, is there any reason I can't just install the AFS8L2 in a reversed position? A photo and description of the reel set is located here: https://mudhole.com/products/crb-alumin ... uts-afs8l2 The online photo shows the end cap on the threaded end. I am thinking about putting the end cap on the hooded end and butting the threaded end against the cork.
Best wishes.

Post 25 Oct 2021, 09:52 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Many reel seats are designed for either-way installation. If the threaded section is too long such that the reel seat extends beyond the blank more than you want, it can be cut, making sure that there is enough clearance for the foot of any reel(s) you would use when the lock ring is loosened towards the cork. Very routine with seats of many designs.

Post 25 Oct 2021, 14:21 • #3 
Sport
Thanks, Whirlpool. I appreciate all of the help you give.
Best wishes.
Mitch

Post 26 Oct 2021, 08:07 • #4 
Guide
Agreed. One of my favorite seats is an up-locker with a front hood intended for recessed cork that I flipped. I had a few 1" cork balls laying around and I took one, found a center, and drilled it to fit what was the front hood - now I have a Lil ONE 082 with a neat little nubbin of a fighting butt :)

Post 26 Oct 2021, 08:22 • #5 
Piscator
toothybugs, that's worth a photo

Post 26 Oct 2021, 18:07 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
You can also buy preformed EVA foam fighting butts that are designed to slide on. I use a couple for makeshift fighting butts. A little glue, and you will be good to go.

New Topic Add Reply