It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:52

New Topic Add Reply
"Dulling" of Epoxy Wraps
Post 24 Oct 2021, 09:53 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
One of the first rods I built was a 7.5' Lami 4wt. I used Threadmaster Lite on the wraps. On the underside of the wraps (in contact with the line), the wraps have become "dull" when dry. When wet or if Pledge or other wax is applied they look fine. I don't see this on rods I have done with spar for the wraps (I changed to spar after this rod).

I clean my line frequently and do not use a textured line. That rod is my favorite and does get a lot of use, however. Anyone else see this?

Functionally all is fine and you don't notice it unless you are looking for it. Still I am considering putting a thin coat of spar over the wraps.

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.

Post 24 Oct 2021, 10:37 • #2 
Administrator
Lines pick up dirt from the ground and silt from the water. Hard water deposits form when the rod and line dry. Even some water microbes are abrasive. All of it can scratch your finish.

You might try 'polishing' the epoxy guide wraps first. If you are a wood worker and have 'rotten stone' on hand, mix some with oil and use as a polish. Auto polish or silver polish should work. In a pinch you could even try toothpaste. Threadmaster Lite creates a thick finish with plenty of material to polish.

If polishing doesn't work out, then try the spar varnish.

Tom

Post 24 Oct 2021, 12:54 • #3 
Sport
Novus 2 plastic polish is very good at removing dirt and hard water deposits.

Tim

Post 24 Oct 2021, 19:15 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Tom and Tim thanks for the suggestions! I'll give them a try!

Post 25 Oct 2021, 09:56 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Ditto on toothpaste (whitening brands are more aggressive than old standbys), metal polish, car polish, (not wax) and if you need to be more aggressive with car care products, scratch removers and even headlight restoration kits are great as is the Novus plastic polish suggested by Tim.

I've used just about all of this stuff on scuffed or lightly scratched rod wraps & blanks with excellent results.

When I'm done, I wax & polish the entire rod blank with a good quality car wax taking my time and using very short and gentle strokes, especially around the tip top.

Good luck!

Post 25 Oct 2021, 11:24 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Bamboozle!

Post 27 Oct 2021, 18:56 • #7 
Guide
Simple fix if you want to. I use a Sand Turtle Gleemer (Nail Buffer File). Green side first, then white to shine and you are good as new. Works on epoxy and spar as well.

Post 16 Nov 2021, 17:25 • #8 
Master Guide
I ran into that same problem. It looked as if my Threadmaster had become dulled by abrasive or dirty line. It took some figuring out. Beard oil. A very light application of unscented beard oil.

I would clean the wraps and the underside would still look dull as if maybe I had fished the rod before letting the Threadmaster cure. I didn’t want anything in the way of harsh chemicals on my thread wraps. So, I used organic beard oil. Shined back up. Took a bit of polishing with fingers and paper towel without applying a lot of pressure.

New Topic Add Reply