It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:45

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Dec 2008, 05:21 • #1 
Hello,

What type of material is used to make a spigot ferrule, where could one purchase said material, and are there any "how-to" guides out there?

Thank you.

Post 08 Dec 2008, 23:44 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
When I was looking for material to make spigots I had no luck. There are solid glass Ice fishing blanks to be had cheap, but getting them ito fit larger blanks is impossible. The best shot is an old rod. Check to tapers with some clalipers. Decide where to cut your rod, don't forget the spigot will make the male end longer. Tape the section to be cut. Carefully cut and turn the rod at the same time. I used a hacksaw with a fine tooth blade.. Insert your blank stock through the butt until snug. Don't force it. Mark the stock and remove. Now cut the piece a couple inches each way of the mark. Then double the wall of the spigot with another piece of the old rod. Epoxy those pieces together. When the epoxy kicks fit ang glue it in the rod. Make sure the end of the rod is taped good. Hydraulic pressure of the glue will split the rod. Epoxy the spigot tail end and drop in the rod a good snap of the rod should just about seat it. Turn and pull the spigot until the mark show or you think it's near. After that epoxy kicks fit the tip. You have to trim the butt end of the tip to get the desired gap. A wiggle of the rod will tell if the taper is right. You should not feel any movement in the connection. The last one I did, the spigot needed to be shimmed, so to speak. I did this with a verry light coat of epoxy, then sanded till I was happy. Not hard to do but do it carefully. There are probably other ways to get the same results and I wouldn't mind hearing them myself.
RFMcD

Post 09 Dec 2008, 06:50 • #3 

RFMcD,

Thank you for the information. I appreciate the step-by-step procedure ... you gave me some tips that I would not have thought of. I'm going to try one of those ice fishing blanks for material because this glass blank is pretty small in diameter and length (5 feet). Thanks again!

JJ

Post 14 May 2020, 10:07 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
You can't get better advice,this man was the real deal !!.
Tight Lines And Ratfaced Loops
Andy M
PS If you send me a PM I'll see if I can help you with the materials you need ;)

Post 14 May 2020, 13:59 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Ratfaced Loops, indeed! He was The Man.

Post 15 May 2020, 20:11 • #6 
You are able to get fiberglass, and graphite stints from Proof Fly Fishing.

New Topic Add Reply