It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:28

New Topic Add Reply
2 piece blanks?
Post 08 Sep 2021, 15:23 • #1 
Seems hard to find 2 piece blanks anymore. At least in the size, weight & price Ive looked for. Had to settle for 4 piece. I don’t like 3 piece blanks.
When I travel from a fishing area, or in the boat, I like to break the rod in 2 (equal) parts.
Anyone know why the suppliers are into 3 & 4 piece blanks now?
Market? Manufacturing costs? Shipping?
Greg

Re: 2 piece blanks?
Post 08 Sep 2021, 15:37 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Not aware of current 2pc blank manufacturers, maybe there are some. Periodically, you will find a Fenwick FL, which denotes a blank, on the big auction site. In addition, you will occasionally find Fisher and Lamiglas blanks. One of each currently up for auction.

Post 08 Sep 2021, 17:01 • #3 
Guide
I think there is an increasing population of people who like the convenience of smaller, packable rods. With newer rod materials, a 4-piece rod's casting ability is minimally impacted by the extra pieces. I now have a preference of 4-piece rods based on ease of travel and packing. I have a bunch of 2-piece rods I have not touched in a long time.

Post 08 Sep 2021, 18:11 • #4 
I’m sure you’re right. It’s a market demand thing.
4 piece rods were always called “travel” or “pack rods”.
Now they’re the norm.
Agreed, blindfolded, one probably would have a hard time telling the difference in a 2 or 4 of equal weight, length etc.
I like 4 piece rods too. But just takes more time to take them out, line everything up, snug all the ferrules etc.. for local fishing I prefer 2 piece.

Post 08 Sep 2021, 21:46 • #5 
Administrator
I'm not sure why, but new 1-piece and 2-piece fly rod blanks have become difficult to find. The big and small companies continuously push multi-piece rods, so I suspect they save money somehow. Other rod types, such as bass rods and spinning rods, seem to be moving toward more 1-piece blanks.

Tom

Post 09 Sep 2021, 05:17 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I think it has to do with shipping; a tube over four feet long goes up dramatically in price.

I still make my one piece small stream spg's, but I no longer offer the 7 feet, one piece - too much hassle packing and shipping, and the shipping cost is crazy.

I love my two piece rods, and you can always make a four piece into a two piece by leaving sections assembled. With three piece rods, you can't do that.

Post 09 Sep 2021, 06:31 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I have several 2pc blanks in the Steffen mandrels and several blanks in stock. They don't seem to sell as well as three piece blanks. If you are interested let me know. I have blanks from 3/4wt to 6/7wt 2pc in stock. Shane

New Topic Add Reply