It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:32

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Aug 2021, 14:28 • #1 
Guide
My beloved classic Orvis Green Mountain 7'9" Far & Fine graphite rod tip section cracked between the 1st and 2nd guides above the ferrule. This is a staggered ferrule rod with a longer tip than butt section. Yes, I know it is a graphite rod but I think my question would also apply to cracked glass rods, plus I understand the blank does have a little fiberglass scrim in it :) . The rod did not collapse while casting a dry fly, but I felt and heard a ticking noise that alerted me to the damage. There are four longitudinal cracks about 3 or 4" long, stopped by the second guide wrap.

I called Orvis to ask if they had any replacement blanks in stock, but of course they don't. I am looking for a parts rod, lots of luck. The rod repair guy did not think the rod is repairable, but I have nothing to lose by trying. Here are three methods I have been thinking about:

1. The blank is out of round in the cracked section. My buddy has some old steel mandrels that he got from a St Croix rep. If one of them would fit, I'm thinking about inserting it, putting epoxy on the cracks, and wrapping it with thread. Would I then be able to remove the mandrel without the epoxy sticking to it?

2. I have an old glass spincasting rod with a fairly fine, limber tip. I'm thinking about making an internal splint and inserting it inside the rod with some epoxy, being careful not to get epoxy on the inside of the ferrule. Then I would epoxy the cracks and wrap with thread. This would undoubtedly change the action but hopefully the rod would still be useful.

3. The late rod maker Hal James from E. Hille sold me a St Croix pack rod that had a fiberglass sleeve repair over the blank. This rod has given me good service over the years. In order to fit a sleeve on I would have to remove and replace all of the guides on the tip, however - a lot of trouble for a repair that might not work, anyway.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks,
Kevin

Post 27 Aug 2021, 18:58 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Well, it really can't be fixed.

You could certainly put a 4" stent inside tip as you mentioned above#2, but that is gonna change it quite a bit. Rod would be fishable however, and would look fine. Spincast blank probably has a much faster taper than the tip on Orvis, I want the tapers as close as possible for a nice fit.

Oversleeve #3 is ugly repair IMHO.

Good luck. I feel your pain, bet we all do.

Post 27 Aug 2021, 20:06 • #3 
Guide
I appreciate the sympathy. First time I've broken a rod in quite a while.

I have a short early Fenwick glass fly rod tip that is slower and more flexible than the spincast rod blank. Think I'll try it instead for a stent. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kevin

Post 27 Aug 2021, 23:20 • #4 
Administrator
An interior stent will keep the rod blank round during a cast. But the stent won't provide any hoop strength to the blank. You will probably start forming cracks beyond the stent.

While you can thread wrap the repair, compared to fiberglass or graphite, nylon is a rubber band. If you do the repair, overwrap with fiberglass or kevlar thread.

Put a coat of epoxy rod finish (or boat builder's fiberglass resin), then wrap the glass or kevlar over the wet epoxy. Yes, this will be messy. Then put a thin coat of epoxy over the top. Check out this link and the 'wet method' near the bottom of the page.

The result won't be pretty.

Tom

Post 28 Aug 2021, 01:48 • #5 
Master Guide
I concur with the previous respondents and I would start haunting ebay for a replacement rod.

Post 28 Aug 2021, 15:54 • #6 
Master Guide
Upper creek
I feel your Pain ...
I cracked my Orvis “all rounder” chucking a big weighted clouser that hit the rod
(Operator Error )...
Mine was cracked between the ferrule oversleeve and the first guide
I had my local rod shop Tom’s custom rods in Belair Maryland perform the surgery
Internal sleeve from old fiberglass spinning rod cut to match the Orvis inner taper epoxied in place.

Then a snug double wrap with a good bit of quality epoxy on the outside.

Turned out super nice and only cost me $25 to have it fixed.

The action is almost the same as before. Slightly more mid flex vs full flex now.
Barely noticeable though.
I jumped the gun before the repair was done and bought a spare rod but it’s been sitting in the closet ..
The repaired rod is going strong after a few thousand casts and still is able to pull bucketmouths out of the weeds..

I feel it’s worth to at least try and fix your rod.
You’ve got nothing to loose and memories to gain if you can fix it.
Not to mention a cool story if the repaired rod blows up while hooked on some huge lunker ..
Good luck hope you can get it fishing again .
I love my (4) far and fine’s. They are very special rods.
Arguably one of Orvis’ finest tapers ever to come out of their factory...

Post 28 Aug 2021, 16:39 • #7 
Did you ask the Orvis Rod shop if they had a replacement tip? versus a blank?

Post 28 Aug 2021, 18:28 • #8 
Master Guide
Orvis stopped using the gen2 Unsanded style graphite in 2003 when all Orvis graphite rods went to the thermoplastic process used/debuted on the TLs and PM10 rods.

When Orvis switched back to Unsanded style On the superfine carbon rods 2012?-19 it was on the newer scrim and resin prepregs.. totally different than the Og Unsanded Style graphite rods.
Awesome rods but Not as awesome as the older style Rods.

The far and fine taper was found in all the rod series that used Unsanded graphite
The gen2 graphite had a 20 year run. 83/84 - 2003
Superfine
“Red label”
Green Mountain
Rocky Mountain
Clearwater 1
Presentation
Silver label And Silver label TL
HLS ??
“Western“??

Finding a replacement Isn’t unicorn status yet .
But prices for the Unsanded graphite’s have really skyrocketed the last 3 years.
Expect to pay an extra premium for a far and fine though. It’s the most sought after and has the most legendary/cult status.

Post 28 Aug 2021, 20:51 • #9 
Guide
Actually, Greyghost, I mispoke. I asked in my email to Orvis if they had a replacement tip section, not blank, in stock. The Orvis guy told me they only have replacement rod sections in stock going back about 8 years, IIRC.

Ottobahn, your post is inspirational! Although maybe I should just send the rod to your local rod shop and have them repair it ... actually, I've already cut out a stent from an old junk rod that seems to fit well so I'm going to give the repair a try myself. Got some good advice for fitting the stent from a member who has experience with making spigot ferrules. Need to get some rod epoxy. My buddy has some kevlar thread.

Glad to hear that there are so many models with unsanded Gen 2 graphite original Far and Fine tips, and that it is not a "unicorn" Yet. I'll keep an eye out for a parts rod.

Post 08 Sep 2021, 15:30 • #10 
If you try this repair, I’d suggest west system “g-flex” epoxy. Very high tensile strength with some give to it.

Post 15 Sep 2021, 08:30 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
uppercreek wrote : Finding a replacement Isn’t unicorn status yet .
But prices for the Unsanded graphite’s have really skyrocketed the last 3 years.
Expect to pay an extra premium for a far and fine though.
It’s the most sought after and has the most legendary/cult status.

oh goodness... let's just keep that on the down low... so no one else finds out...

Post 15 Sep 2021, 10:35 • #12 
Guide
The Far & Fine were great rods..like mentioned, a I believe the various Orvis rod models..Rocky Mt., Superfine, etc..were built on the same blanks with different cosmetics and warranties.

I was an Orvis dealer for a time and always liked the Far & Fine, and All-Rounder rods for their performance. The scuttlebutt way back then was that the All-Rounder was still in the inventory because of then Chairman Lee Perkins, who recently passed away.

Don't have any these days, but would like to have a Far & Fine....

Post 16 Sep 2021, 19:04 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Just keep an eye out for a new one. Prices fluctuate and if you keep at it, you can get one for a reasonable price, especially if you are willing to get a green mountain version.

New Topic Add Reply