It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:03

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Aug 2021, 18:06 • #1 
Sport
I have an older Fenwick 320 with an aluminum ferrule. There's a slot for an O-ring (see attached picture). I'm curious if anyone still might still have stock on this part. Or, does anybody know the specs on the O-ring and where it would be available?

Post 20 Aug 2021, 18:56 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Easiest place is your local Ace Hardware, that is where I found them. Should have drawers full of them. Take the tip section in and find the right size. Those O rings have many uses.

Post 20 Aug 2021, 19:58 • #3 
Master Guide
I've gotten them from a tray in Home Depot as well. Word to the wise- the size you need is a lot smaller than you may think. Get it tight.

Post 20 Aug 2021, 22:36 • #4 
Sport
Shrimpman and retired - thanks for your suggestions.

Post 21 Aug 2021, 06:45 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
O-rings are sized by both inside & outside diameter & the thickness of the rubber ring. The right diameter to fit in the groove may be too thick. Stretch out one smaller to make it thinner and it will degrade & break quicker.

The problem with hardware store O-rings is they are typically packaged and the store won't appreciate folks breaking open package after package checking the fit. In addition the drawers are usually a mess from folks doing exactly that so finding stuff and the selection usually suffer as a result.

If you have a dial caliper, you can measure the diameter of both the outside of male ferrule and the diameter of the groove to determine the approximate diameter & thickness required. Then look at O-Ring size charts which are out there on the Internet to figure out what may work. It really isn't that hard to dial in.

After that look on eBay. There are tons of O-ring sellers and you can buy a few sizes to try for what you would pay for one or two at a hardware store.

Good luck!!

Post 21 Aug 2021, 09:25 • #6 
Guide
The industry specification for o-ring sizes is AS568C - once you know the dash no. it should be good for any number of other o-ring specifications - even the mil specs use the same sizes and dash numbers. As Bamboozle stated a quick internet search will turn up multiple sources for the size charts. For material I'd suggest a butyl rubber what is usually called BunaN or Nitrile, that is probably the most common material and most likely to be available at your local hardware store. Fluorocarbon materials such as Viton or Kalrez will work as well if thats what's available as will EPDM. I'd stay away from silicone o-rings - they don't typically have the mechanical strength to hold up under repeated assembly/disassembly. If you lubricate the ferrule be careful that the lubricant is compatible with the o-ring material or it could cause the o-ring to swell or even disintegrate.

Post 21 Aug 2021, 10:03 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Shrimpman gave good advice, Oring should be hard to put on, get smaller than you think.

Post 24 Aug 2021, 22:25 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I would just go without if the ferrule holds. If the o-ring is just a bit too big, it may be impossible to get the ferrule apart again.

Or worse, you might pull the ferrule off the rod.

Post 25 Aug 2021, 06:15 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
"Size-matic." The O-ring was to work that trick in a ferrule material, aluminum, more dimensionally unstable than other metals. And to provide security against rattling or loosening while in use.
;
I think you will be able to find one that works at any well-stocked hardware store. The thinner the better--bulging very slightly beyond the diameter of the male ferrule and soft enough to be able to compress very slightly smaller. Gosh, one of the older hardware stores near me has hundreds of them all jumbled up over the years in the little Servalite trays, priced 25 to 50 cents apiece. That's if you can figure out the stock number from the original section of the display, and then remember it all the way to the cash register. Otherwise, with this and any other small hardware such as machine screws, shims, sleeves, rubber plugs and so on, one dollar is close enough for me. Five and a half cents for the Governor if I have any change. Or go up the road to Ace where the boxes haven't been rummaged so many years, write the number down on one of the little plastic bags next to the tray, and pay the exact mount due, which could be twice as much.

As Carlz said, the ferrule may be fine without the O-ring. I have found and lost several over the years and just save the money for coffee and fish the same old beater rod without one.

If it ever gives me trouble like that, I will just replace the ferrule with a conventional metal ferrule. Probably I will find one of the O rings in the process.

New Topic Add Reply