It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:18

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Aug 2021, 00:12 • #1 
Sport
wondering if there are any good videos or threads explaining how to wrap trim bands when using translucent threads. I see a lot of silk wrapping which is either clear or very translucent and have an offsetting trim band within the thread. At least how I learned wrapping, you'ld end up with a visible tag under the silk wrap on either side,...trying to figure out how people eliminate or reduce that outcome. I'm preparing to build my new McFarland GTX and am looking for wrapping ideas. Thanks in advance.

Post 20 Aug 2021, 03:32 • #2 
Sport
This link might be helpful...

http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.p ... arent+wrap

Post 20 Aug 2021, 05:18 • #3 
Master Guide
There is a technique for adding a single wrap inlay with a different color thread, but I can't find it. The "cheat" is to use a light colored thread and to color it with India ink for one complete turn:
https://www.proofflyfishing.com/collections/tools/products/complete-india-ink-market-set-with-silk
Tutorial here:
https://www.proofflyfishing.com/pages/how-to-make-white-trim-bands-with-india-ink-markers

Post 20 Aug 2021, 09:18 • #4 
Administrator
Go to the Rodbuilding.org Library page and find the article "Narrow Trim Bands and Thread Inlays" by Tom Kirkman. The narrow trim band wrap will easily fall apart after final trimming. I give my guide wraps a first coat of finish, then add the trim wraps. I give the trim wraps a coat of finish before I trim the tag ends.

Another technique is use a Sharpie marker to color the thread for the requisite length. You will have to experiment to find a marker color that doesn't wick into the other threads or run from the rod finish.

Be aware transparent wraps take lots of practice and experimenting to get them right. As casually mentioned in the link that neuralize gave, the wraps are likely to look different under different lighting.

Tom

Post 20 Aug 2021, 09:31 • #5 
Guide
I use the method described in the Kirkman article. Essentially just a nail knot. I typically use three turns when using silk. I apply a VERY small dab of super glue to the knot after snugging and before trimming. I apply with the end of a toothpick. The CA glue has no impact on the final product of the correct amount is used.

Post 20 Aug 2021, 12:12 • #6 
Sport
jgestar wrote:
Another technique is use a Sharpie marker to color the thread for the requisite length. You will have to experiment to find a marker color that doesn't wick into the other threads or run from the rod finish.

I have long added single wraps using thread marking methods much like what is in the Proof Fly Fishing tutorial. A Sharpie is not a good way to color the thread because of bleeding into varnish or epoxy finish. Results are much better when India ink or other such artist's ink is used.

Tim

Post 20 Aug 2021, 15:41 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Not that I’ve ever been 100% happy with my trim band, but I’ve had my best results as described above: adding the trim wraps using the knot/superglue method after applying one coat of finish to the main wraps.

Post 21 Aug 2021, 08:09 • #8 
Master Guide
Having posted the Proof article, I will add that if you are just interested in adding a trim band, there's no need for markers or a nail knot. I do my trim bands using the same wrapping technique as for main wraps but the trick is to wet the thread with distilled water so it will grab. With Gossamer silk or Size 100, 4 turn wraps are possible and with Size 50/A, 3 turn wraps are possible because you can wrap with more tension. It's possible to do 2 turn wraps with Gossamer if they're jammed in between main wraps. It’s at least as thin as a single turn of size A. No calisthenics necessary. I almost never have a wrap "pop" before finishing. Just crank up the tension as high it will go without the thread breaking.

--Rich

Post 22 Aug 2021, 18:34 • #9 
Sport
Thank you everyone....I had to go off line for a couple days, but much appreciate the feedback.

New Topic Add Reply