It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:05

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Aug 2022, 09:53 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Really enjoy your attention to detail.I can't use any type of epoxy as i have become sensitized after working with epoxy grouts for decades. I get rashes and feel sick just smelling it. I am going to fool with with some old cane rods as oil finishes do not bother me.I am all good on glass rods for myself but do marvel at some of the custom builds i see here.Kind of the flyfishers version of advanced model kits.Anything besides epoxy to change out a reel seats/grips on old glass rods?Have a couple that the cork is damaged but the rod is in great condition.

Post 11 Aug 2022, 23:36 • #27 
Administrator
There are other options than epoxy for reel seat and grip gluing.
  • The old standard for cork grip assembly is contact cement. Apply the cement to the cork rings, let it dry, then clamp the rings together.
  • If you are really careful, you can use a urethane glue like Gorilla Glue. Gorilla Glue tends to foam out after gluing. I recommend gluing one part at a time and covering everything else with masking tape. The excess glue can be removed with solvent when it first appears, but it is tough stuff once it is dry. This might be a good choice for reelseats
  • Perhaps try Liquid Nails construction adhesive, but test it first. I'm not sure how well it will stick to fiberglass.
  • Another old standby is Weldwood Resorcinol glue. This glue is dark purple, so again mask off everything that should be glued.

Tom

Post 17 Aug 2022, 23:09 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
For cork, I glue the rings onto the blank (and to each other) with wood glue (tightbond 2 or 3). for the reel seat, I don't have experience with anything but epoxy.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply