It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:16

New Topic Add Reply
Reel seat advise
Post 17 Aug 2021, 15:22 • #1 
Building a salty McFarland GTX 6/7wt. Wanting a quality anodized reel seat. Prefer it to have the hood that doesn’t rotate and stays in alignment and to lock the reel foot down to eliminate twisting.

Blank diameter where the reel seat will set is .475”.

The Alps triangle seems to have the design I like as does the REC RFTS but the Rec ID is .750” and seems too large. Hear great things about Lemke and have considered the LC20 and LC25 but don’t think they have the alignment feature.

Thoughts and recommendations please.

Thx.

Re: Reel seat advise
Post 17 Aug 2021, 15:50 • #2 
Master Guide
The Lemke LC10 comes in a variety of finishes and has an inside diameter of .580. It’s a very nice seat. If I remember correctly, I believe the front hood has a stepped portion to fit the reel foot.

Post 17 Aug 2021, 16:50 • #3 
Administrator
Welcome to the Forum!

What reel do you intend to put on your rod? Do you intend to use a detachable fighting butt?

If you are worried about saltwater corrosion, the most bulletproof reelseat is a Fuji graphite, such as the DPSM. Yes, Fujis are ugly as a hockey puck, but are just as tough and corrosion proof. I don't think the Fuji fly/spinning seats have a hood aligning feature. I wouldn't use a detachable fighting butt with a Fuji.

Lemke offers an uplocking titanium reelseat (TITA) that would also be corrosion proof and tough as nails (Southwest Custom Rods).

If you are conscientious about washing your rods and reels after a day on the water, anodized aluminum should be fine. Pick your favorite style. The REC RSLS seat would fit over the McFarland blank and be a smaller diameter. The RFTS seems to be a big rig reelseat. Personally, I don't think an 0.75" OD reelseat is too large on a 6/7 weight rod.

Tom

Post 17 Aug 2021, 18:12 • #4 
Thank you.

Plan on putting my Tibor Everglades on the rod. Don’t need detachable butt. Prefer fixed.

Not worried about corrosion as I rinse my equip off.

Thanks for the rec on the Fuji but can’t do graphite on a fly rod. Not concerned w corrosion bc I rinse.

Will check on the RSLS. Thx.

Post 17 Aug 2021, 19:33 • #5 
Guide
Alignment should not be an issue, the front hood on the Lemkes will be stationary and has a recessed pocket to eleminate any rotation, and the rear slip will follow suit with the pocket alignment when tightening. Size wise every all metal model offered will fit the blank. Most popular for that appears to be the LC20 which is .705 OD with a .610 ID

Post 28 Dec 2021, 19:47 • #6 
All 4 of my gtx rods have titanium/lemke lc20 reel seats. Best seat for these big glass blanks. I have the GTX in 8’6” 6wt and 8wt and 7’10” 8wt and 10wt all the butt sections are close in diameter.

New Topic Add Reply