It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:43

New Topic Add Reply
1st build advice
Post 09 Aug 2021, 19:16 • #1 
This is my 1st build and first wrapped guide. I took great care to get the wraps to be the same size and woven tightly. Any thing more to pay attention to before I get to far into this?

Re: 1st build advice
Post 09 Aug 2021, 20:37 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
You may want to burnish the wraps. Take something like the side of a ballpoint pen, and rub it across the wrap. Do this from the edge of the wrap towards the middle. Perhaps find a video on YT that demonstrates this. You will find that this smooths out the distribution of the wraps. Easier to do than to explain.

Post 09 Aug 2021, 21:14 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Not too tight. Just enough to lay the thread down evenly. In burnishing, you should be able to nudge the thread a bit if need be to close a gap. And to nudge the guide foot slightly left or right if need be to improve alignment.

Post 10 Aug 2021, 01:02 • #4 
Administrator
Good job with the length of the wraps on both sides of the guide. The wraps aren't too long! I like that a lot. It does appear the thread is stretched tight. If the thread is too tight, it is difficult to reposition the guide and burnish the threads flat.

The wraps need to be firm, but not so firm that the guide can't be wiggled slightly to the final alignment. After the thread is varnished or epoxied, the finish holds the threads together in a matrix - much like the rod blank resin holds the glass fibers together. The thread/finish matrix will hold the guide in position for the next few decades. Wrapping the thread very tightly doesn't improve the hold, but does make final guide positioning almost impossible.

Tom

Post 10 Aug 2021, 11:58 • #5 
Thanks for all the advice. I started with the stripper guide on the 1st piece of the blank so I dont need to align this with anything but the reel seat. I spent a great deal of time getting the lengths to match. I had to re-wrap one side to make them match.

Does the amount of thread past the guide affect the rods ability to flex? Should I have less thread on the bare blank?

Post 10 Aug 2021, 14:07 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
It’s pretty insignificant. I generally go about 1/8” to 3/16” from the edge of the foot, because there is no need for any more than that. But it really doesn’t matter, unless you make it dramatically longer than that. Your wrap length is fine.

Post 10 Aug 2021, 18:31 • #7 
Guide
Anything extra you add to the blank, thread, finish, etc will affect the it and make it slower. What you are doing there is so insignificant, that I doubt you would even be able to determine it. Further out on the blank yes, but then again very minimal with a slight increase in recovery time

Post 10 Aug 2021, 20:59 • #8 
Master Guide
File the top of your guides so there is a smooth ramp/taper for the thread to climb up.

Post 10 Aug 2021, 21:10 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, what Cheffy said. Some guides come already filed, others you will have to do yourself. It should basically be filed until the end of the foot tapers to a knife edge.

Post 13 Aug 2021, 07:30 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
The proportions on your wraps are great. Are you using silk. It's harder to work with than nylon, and the need to keep tension low is more important on sink than nylon.

It looks like you have a few crossed wraps on that Stripper. Wet the wraps with Denatured Alcohol (DNA). It should be a lot easier to see the crossed over wraps. Water will work, but DNA gives a better result when the finish goes on.

As Gaddis said, guide preparation to a relatively sharp point is key to getting a good wrap. You can search old posts for hints.

Stripping guides are the hardest to do, so you're doing really well. just cut this one off file down the feet a bit and start over. The razor blade is your best friend. If something doesn't look perfect now, it's not going to get any better, so cut it off and rewrap.

Post 14 Aug 2021, 15:46 • #11 
Sport
To get an idea of how others wrap their guides, in terms of distance past the end of the guide foot, take a look at some of the pix on the Rod Photos forum. You will also see how tapered the guide feet are.

Dave Fowler

Post 15 Aug 2021, 20:58 • #12 
Progress report…
Thanks for all the input. Finished wrapping and 1st thinned coat today. Hope to fish with it later this week. Will hopefully have time tomorrow to put second coat of epoxy on tomorrow.

Post 16 Aug 2021, 13:35 • #13 
Master Guide
Looks good

Post 19 Aug 2021, 22:51 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Looks really great Adam! Keep us posted my friend.

(much better than my first wraps.. ugh!)

New Topic Add Reply