It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:32

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Aug 2021, 12:47 • #1 
Sport
Sorry to sully the forum with a noob graphite blank question but looking for a little experience-based insight into this. I just picked up a couple of vintage graphite blanks I'm very excited to build out. Unsanded graphite blanks with internal ferrules. As I'm looking at the blanks I notice a little 'bulging' in way of the spigot locations.

You can see it as far down as about the 4 inch mark on the lower section in the pic and at about the 3 inch mark on the upper (mid) section of the blank.

Considering I've only built on glass up to now (I've never seen this on a glass blank) and don't own any vintage graphite with internal ferrules, my question is . . . is this expected/normal, either because of additional reinforcing/material over the spigot length or caused by how the spigot is sized?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thx!

Post 09 Aug 2021, 13:23 • #2 
Administrator
Do you have a micrometer or pair of calipers? If so, can you make some measurements?

You are seeing ferrule stations. The manufacturer deliberately added material to strengthen the blank. This was common on Garcia Conolon rods with the metal spigot ferrules (although the decorative ferrule wraps mask the increased blank diameter). The increased material also creates a stiffer spot in the rod taper.

As you can see in the photo below, early graphite used sleeves to strengthen the ferrule area. Tip over butt ferrules often had extra material over the female portion. Because graphite blanks have such thin walls the thickness increase is sometimes hard to detect by eye.

I have three, uncut, 9-foot, graphite blanks in the rathole. They have very distinct ferrule stations for cutting the rod into a three piece. If the original rod designer thought the ferrule stations were a good idea, I am not going to mess with them.

Thom

New Topic Add Reply