It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:15

New Topic Add Reply
Fenwick Feralite B model
Post 04 Aug 2021, 18:08 • #1 
Hi Everyone- I’m new to this post here so hoping this is the right place to post this. I have an older fenwick fly rod model B that unfortunately broke and snapped on one of the shafts. I’m looking to repair this to ideally fish with it again. Any recommendations of who I can contact to do this repair? Thanks, Jon

Post 04 Aug 2021, 18:31 • #2 
Administrator
Hi Jon, Welcome to the forum!

If possible, could you post photos of the broken rod? For posting directions, see viewtopic.php?t=2353#p6834

Most rods can be repaired, but some breaks are tougher than others.

Tom

Post 05 Aug 2021, 01:18 • #3 
Hi Tom- thanks for replying. Here’s a photo, thanks in advance for any referrals to do this repair. Thanks .

Post 05 Aug 2021, 01:44 • #4 
Administrator
Is that the middle section of a three piece rod?

That break can be repaired if you are willing to do the work yourself. Use the forum search for the words "stent" or "tip repair" and you will get a good start of how to do the work.

If you want to send the rod to a shop, wrap both ends of the break with syran wrap or something similar so the splintered ends don't get battered. Let the rod repairer do the rest.

Tom

Post 05 Aug 2021, 08:21 • #5 
Thanks Tom. Yes it’s a 3 piece fly rod and it’s the middle one that broke. I would like to hire someone to do this repair, if anyone has any referrals please send my way. Thanks

Post 05 Aug 2021, 09:06 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Like Tom said, pretty simple repair, put in a short stent, wrap over it. I'm no rod shop but would be happy to do it for you if you can't find a shop.

Those are the prettiest Fenwicks IMHO

Post 06 Aug 2021, 06:13 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Jrood,

As long as you can live with the fact that the rod won't be the same, it can be done and a local rod builder/repair shop should be able to do it. If you let us know where you are, someone might have a local suggestion. Shipping a rod back and forth can get expensive these days. This type of repair is good if the rod has sentimental value or you just want to get the rod back on the water.

The fix will require adding a stent into the rod. This will be visible when backlit, but also adds weight, so the action won't be the same, but it will get the rod back out on the water. The further toward the tip, the more effect the weight will have on the rod.

What rod is it? Old Fenwicks are gems, but they aren't usually worth shipping a rod around to do this type of repair.

New Topic Add Reply