It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:01

New Topic Add Reply
One-Piece Seats/Grips
Post 02 Aug 2021, 17:57 • #1 
Sport
Any tips out there for where I can find one-piece grips similar in style to what you get on a Scott G or a Redington Butter Stick?

I want to use something like this on my next couple of builds but I can't seem to find them carried by a lot of suppliers. CFRC does offer one but the style isn't what I'm looking for.

I'm not skilled enough to turn my own cork so I'm looking to purchase pre-formed grips. Any leads would be appreciated. Thx!

Post 02 Aug 2021, 18:53 • #2 
Administrator
Turning cork isn't hard, but it is messy. Summer is the best time because you can turn the cork outside. You don't need much equipment to do so.

A good reference is Dale Clemens' Fiberglass Rod Making. You can turn the grip on a piece of threaded rod as a mandrel or you can glue cork rings to the rod blank and turn them on the blank. Turning your own grips means you get exactly the grip you want at the quality level you want. Better still, you can make shapes and styles that you can't buy at any price.

Tom

Post 02 Aug 2021, 21:13 • #3 
Guide
Here you go . I have used these before .
https://www.flyrodcrafters.com/all-in-o ... reel-seat/

Post 02 Aug 2021, 22:15 • #4 
Sport
Thank you both.

I've seen the grips that CFRC offers - they're not exactly what I'm looking for but close. I may pick one up and give it a try.

I just might try to rig a piece of threaded rod to a drill and see what happens.

Post 03 Aug 2021, 15:26 • #5 
Master Guide
I think its easier to turn the cork on the blank. Ream out the rings individually and glue on the butt. Put a wooden dowel in the chuck of the drill with some masking tape to build up the od of the dowel so it fits snug inside of the blank. I start turning with file, then switch to sandpaper until about 600 grit but 600 is probably too fine. I dont use a sanding block with the sandpaper but I have before and it works ok.

New Topic Add Reply