It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:12

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Jul 2021, 16:26 • #1 
I'm about to start my next build which is using a down locking reel seat. This is the first time I have installed a DL reel seat. The reel seat consists of the usual main parts of the wood insert and threaded barrel. Normally I would epoxy and mount to the rod and align everything all at one time using a reel to make sure the blank is aligned properly to the reel seat.

With this particular reel seat (REC ADSL) the threaded barrel has a cut out for the reel foot and the wood insert is recessed to accept the reel foot. The wood insert and threaded barrel must align so that the reel can sit properly on the reel seat.

My question: I was thinking I might pre-epoxy the threaded barrel to the wood insert so that they align correctly. Let that cure and then mount the reel seat to the blank.

Thanks
Mike

Reel seat disassembled

Assembled

Post 27 Jul 2021, 17:38 • #2 
Master Guide
I did an REC, with the mortise like that, for my brother’s rod a couple years ago. I believe I glued the threaded barrel part off the rod first like you are suggesting. Just seemed easier.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 19:12 • #3 
Guide
I may be in the minority, but always bond and clamp the reel seat components together - off the rod. After any necessary wood insert reaming/fitting of course. This way I’m focusing on only the alignment of the reel seat components.

Jeff

Post 27 Jul 2021, 19:19 • #4 
Master Guide
I always epoxy the barrel to the insert prior, then mount them to the blank.

Nothing says you have to it that way, but in some cases such as yours, it will make lining it all up easier.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 19:35 • #5 
It seems the consensus is to epoxy off the rod first. I’ll dry fit everything first then pre-glue the reel seat.
Thanks

Post 27 Jul 2021, 20:00 • #6 
Master Guide
Be sure to clean the aluminum parts with thinner or DNA to ensure any release agent or machining lubricant is removed.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 20:49 • #7 
I also scuff up the inside. Thanks for the reminder.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 22:20 • #8 
Administrator
Before you glue up the handle, test run your wraps and finish. Wrap the rod blank that will end up under the rod grip. You can ensure you like the look while you can still easily change. There's plenty of room to test different threads.

When you are ready to build the grip, cut off the wraps and sand lightly so the epoxy will hold.

Tom

New Topic Add Reply