It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:08

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Jul 2021, 17:05 • #1 
Sport
Hello,

I was wondering, if one was to take a built one piece rod and add one ferrule to make it 2 pc, would you lose any length?

Would a 6'1 rod become 5'9"?
Etc

Thanks

Post 26 Jul 2021, 02:33 • #2 
Administrator
Nope. You should pretty much break even.

Be aware, you don't cut the one piece blank or rod dead center. You have to allow for the length of the new spigot (glass ferrule) or the female (metal ferrule). If you can find a copy of Fiberglass Rod Making by Dale Clemens, he gives good instructions for installing both ferrule types. I'm sure there are good online building sites too. This is a case where diagrams or photos really help.

Tom

Post 26 Jul 2021, 19:46 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
My first thought "where did you get a one-piece fly rod?"

Post 19 Aug 2021, 09:41 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
One of my True Good Friends Here,after reading this question contacted me asking if I'd be willing to chime in on this topic.
Considering I've been on the side lines for so long now, my response was at first Wishy Washie,after reading the post however figured sure why knot.

Decided to first go back and read some of the original posters recent contributions to get a feel for whom we are working with.

In previous posts Hardys Mentions these fine examples of the rod makers art.
Quote:
Vince Cummings The Elf 6' 1pc 3wt
Vince Cummings The Brookie 5' 1pc 3wt

Hope these aren't the rods being considered for alterations, cutting either of them would be a very poor at best course of action.
The questions should be how will my little 6' 1 piece fly rod perform if I add a ferrule, rather than will I have equal sections or retaining the original length ??

With so many inexpensive 6' 2 or 3 piece rods and blanks available today you would be better off in my opinion finding a 6' 2 piece rod that fits your needs, rather than risking loosing the Magic of the original 1 piece by design.

Hope I wasn't too late !!!

Gosh over the years we have spent countless hours bantering over ferruleing blanks, different ferrule types,ferrule location etc.

Sorry I'm not up to rehashing nearly 2 decades of ferrule talk,when cutting a blank,adding unions our goal should be to not loose,try to retain as much of the One Piece Performance/Feel as possible.
Especially with these little shorties as I call them.

On the outside chance this rod is not one of the highly sought after classics above and you do decide to cut the rod in 2 pieces you might want to consider this Old Rod Makers Favorite Choice.
Stagger the ferrule by moving the union closer to the Butt,"Off Center" that way you can have a 2 piece rod without sacrificing all the feel and Magic of a 1 piece rod. :eek

A bit surprised Tom "N" Keith didn't ask more questions.
If your still needing help with your rod project,please don't hesitate to contact me Via PM.
I'm a bit slow getting back but I'd never steer ya Wrong.

Tight Lines And Always Best By Design Loops
Andy Man :)

Post 19 Aug 2021, 10:39 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Good to hear from you Andy!

Post 21 Aug 2021, 10:46 • #6 
Guide
With Andy's help I did this on a one piece Garcia blank and it added 1" to the overall length of the rod. I ended up needing to go one size smaller than the I originally calculated. Remember, the blank is tapered, the inside of a metal ferrule is not. I reinforced the ferrule station by epoxying some old rod stock on the inside then lightly sanded to remove the taper from the blank to fit the ID of the ferrule. A spigot ferrule would be a different process and wouldn't add any length but you need to calculate the length of the male ferrule when deciding where to cut the blank if you want matching length sections.

Post 22 Aug 2021, 15:39 • #7 
Sport
By gosh no.
I wouldn't want to ferrule one of those classics of Cummings. That thread was a different subject with an entirely different question.

The one piece rods I am referring to are a few Fenwicks I purchased from a local fly angler in my area. They are by all accounts nice rods, but I got them on the cheap or I wouldn't have bought them.
It would be nice to make them easier to travel.
Staggered is the way I envisioned them.

My question wasn't if I should or not. It is if I might lost some rod length.
I would rather the 6'1" not drop to a sub 6' in length.

They are currently with a wonderful local rod maker to be made 2 pc.
I appreciate the comments everyone.

Last edited by Hardys on 22 Aug 2021, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Aug 2021, 16:07 • #8 
Guide
I would say properly executed and correct calculating with a spigot type ferrule you would lose nothing, and be able to keep the sections identical in length

Post 22 Aug 2021, 19:45 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks Keith HOPE ALL IS WELL IN YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS
Grooovy
Glad to hear that your Cummings rods aren't on the chopping block .
Equally pleased to learn that you have your project in the hands of an expert.
Be sure to post some before and after photographs with detailed observations of how the action and feel of the rods changed for better or worse.
Tight Lines Altered Loops
Andy Man

New Topic Add Reply