It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:04

New Topic Add Reply
Refinishing a ferrule
Post 24 Jul 2021, 17:23 • #1 
Hi guys, this is my first post but have been reading the forum for awhile.

I’m currently working on a CTS fiberglass 3wt rod. Long story short, I didn’t like my ferrule trim wraps and after the first coat of epoxy (12 hours later) decided to remove them and wrap with another trim color. In removing them the paint on the blank also was removed. This wouldn’t be such a big deal except the very tip of the female end is now mostly natural fiberglass color. The rod is painted tea which is like a chestnut. So I’m going to mask off the section above where I was going to re-wrap to protect the blank and repaint the damaged section.

I could use Krylon Fusion but the closest color is probably the rust. Or I could use regular acrylic paint in a chestnut. Since only about a 1/16” would be exposed at the very tip of the female ferrule I wanted to get you opinion.

Thanks

Post 24 Jul 2021, 21:55 • #2 
Administrator
Welcome to the Forum!

If you post a couple of photos, that will help us give you better suggestions. Take some time to consider the options before continuing.

If you do paint, paint the end of all the ferrules so they match each other. No matter what those little ends won't match the rest of the rod. But the only time they are easily noticed is in the rod bag.

Another option is ferrule rings. To get an idea what they look like, see this Rod Photos post, the 11th photo gives a good view. Ok, that's a high bar to shoot for, but you can see how the metal rings cover the ends of the rod blanks. Run a Google search for "ferrule ring fly rod" for possible vendors and advice.

Tom

Post 25 Jul 2021, 07:07 • #3 
Here’s the top ferrule which is the worst. I will still need to remove the old epoxy. Which was not coming off with DNA. It was 12 hours old. I think I applied a little too much heat and it baked it. I’m not sure what a good option is to remove it other than 400+ grit sand paper.

Ferrule rings looks like a good option. How close can they come to fitting the actual ferrule?

I’ve reached out to CTS to see if they can provide some touch up paint.

Thanks

Post 25 Jul 2021, 08:24 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Live and learn, but that doesn't look too bad. All you need to do is level the surface enough that the wraps aren't bumpy. Perhaps a razor blade will scrape off remnants of finish, or light sanding if you can avoid scoring the blank. Any old brown paint, or even a Sharpie pen, will recolor that sufficiently. It will be concealed and utterly inconsequential underneath the trim wrap. If you want to be sure, double wrap, which is also extra reinforcement of the ferrule (harmless even if unnecessary). That will come out fine.

Post 25 Jul 2021, 08:51 • #5 
Yeah it is purely cosmetic so that’s good. I will put a ferrule wrap in so all I need to do is put color under the wrap so it doesn’t show through. But the tips (1/16”) also need to be colored to try and match the blank. The ferrule ring is an option. I’m hoping CTS can send an ounce or two of paint.

I think a 400-600 grit sand paper can cleanup the leftover epoxy.

Post 25 Jul 2021, 09:04 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
One or two thread's widths not covered at the end of the female won't be noticeable at all at natural viewing distance in natural light, especially if darkened first with a Sharpie or any acrylic paint, or afterwards with nail polish. Ferrule rings, of course, will be classy if you can get a good fit that doesn't leave a cloudy line if there is a small space to be covered/filled with finish.

Post 25 Jul 2021, 12:39 • #7 
Master Guide
I think the easiest solution is to color it with a Sharpie or if you want to get real technical match it with a Pantone marker. Then a light coat of clear nail polish if needed before wrapping. I would probably just color,wrap and epoxy right to the edge.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 12:31 • #8 
A quick update, CTS is looking at sending me a touchup bottle to match the color. I have also ordered some acrylic paint in a color that may match. Since all but the very tip (1/32 - 1/16") of the ferrule will be covered by the ferrule wrap its not that big of a deal. I just need to cleanup the old epoxy and apply a similar color to the unfinished section (5/8" from the ferrule tip up the blank) to the thread does not show a white background. I'll post completed pictures once I'm done.

New Topic Add Reply