It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:42

New Topic Add Reply
Budget build a thing?
Post 12 Jul 2021, 18:38 • #1 
So, what is the cheapest a guy can build a fun little 3-4wt trout stream set up? I’ve never built a rod so I figure it would be awesome to build a crazy unique cheap rod. Thanks folks. I hope the question isn’t out of life. Lol

Post 13 Jul 2021, 11:10 • #2 
Administrator
Welcome to the Forum!

How cheap depends on how much you have to buy. If you already have things like thread, rod finish, guides, and other leftover parts, you can build a rod for the price of a new blank. Janns Netcraft has inexpensive parts, such as a light aluminum reelseat, cork grips, and cork rings.

There are glass rod blanks from very cheap to expensive. This list doesn't cover all of them. In particular, I've left out the pricey options. There are many forum discussions about various rod blanks. Use the forum search (upper right corner of the page) for details.
  • The cheapest option is to find a well used rod and restore it back to prime fishing condition. The rod should already have a grip, ferrules, and reelseat mounted. Prices depend on where you scavenge the old rod(s).
  • The least expensive, new blank option is a Tadpole. These rods are built on Batson/Rainshadow, E-glass, one piece, light, spinning rod blanks. The blanks are about $20 each, plus shipping and tax.
  • New, no-name, fly rod blanks can be had off eBay for $30-35 delivered. I can't recommend a particular seller as the eBay market is constantly changing. Be aware, you are buying a one-off lottery ticket. Don't expect quality control or to buy the same blank again in a year.
  • Proof Fly Fishing offers a line up of imported glass blanks and other rod components. Matt provides the quality control (and lots of advice). If your fishing buddy steals your budget built masterpiece, you can buy another blank and build it again.
  • Northfork Composites is selling their 4 weight Iconoglass blank for $75, plus taxes and delivery (probably around $125 delivered if you only buy one blank). Normal price is $150 plus tax and delivery. I'm not sure how long the sale lasts.
  • Some forum members are custom rod builders and/or rod blank suppliers. For example, Graywolf Rods is selling Ben's of Holland glass blanks for $159 plus shipping. Check the For Sale section and the Fiberglass Manifesto and you will find offers from other builders.

Tom

Post 14 Jul 2021, 05:01 • #3 
Guide
I have just done this here in the UK: it is a regrettable fact that the £:$ exchange rate for fishing stuff is 1:1 - at least that makes the conversion of my costs easy:
- 4-piece 6'6" 3-weight glass blank (with an extra tip), £45
- Cork handle, simple sliding bands, set of rings (I was left with lots left over), £35
So about £80 for a small stream/"brook" rod.
I did it as much for the learning experience as anything, and not sure I will do it again - I prefer tying flies!
But the opportunity to make an interesting configuration of rod that I could not easily find elsewhere was a good one, and I look forward to using it.

Post 16 Jul 2021, 14:17 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I built an 8' 4wt four-piece on a noname Chinese blank, paid I think about $30 on the forum 'For Sale' here.
Reelseat for $10 off ebay. I have a collection of singlefoot ceramics bought in bulk, can't remember how much, just used those. Thread and varnish I had already. Handle was $10 or so from a Janns Netcraft sale.

viewtopic.php?p=320339#p320339

It's a nice rod, and I use it quite a lot..

doing it again, I'd probably go for one of the Proof blanks, or the Ye Olde Englishfly shop ones.

Post 16 Jul 2021, 17:19 • #5 
Guide
You will notice on a lot of these posts that they start off by saying cheap chinese fiberglass blank.

If you really wanted a budget build rod, the cheaper route is probably to buy a completed cheap fiberglass rod already.
This is especially true if you are only looking to build one rod, and do not want to buy all the other materials to assist in the rod assembly.

Aventik
Maxcatch
Cabela's CGR

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas ... ?rrec=true

Then again, it depends on what your idea of a budget build is.

Post 17 Jul 2021, 21:41 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Hard to beat the Northfork fly rod deal, since it is a quality made in USA blank. Cheap vintage fisher or lamiglas fiberglass blanks sometimes turn up on ebay.

I would go for value rather than the cheapest possible build. The PBAA7CT reel seat is cheap and light—and it doesn’t look bad in downlocking position. You can get cheap pacbay snake guides, but they are more work to file, and you might need a few extra in case you get some bad ones. There are some surprisingly good cheap grips on ebay.

New Topic Add Reply