It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:43

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Jul 2021, 15:03 • #1 
Guide
Hello all. I was just fishing a new (to me) Fenwick FF75 that I purchased from a forum member earlier this year. It is a D serial number, meaning it is an older version of the rod. It was in great shape when I recieved it. After fishing it a few times I have noticed that a few of the wraps, most notably the stripping guide, are loose.

I can obviously cut and rewrap, but as I've read on here matching fenwick brown can be tricky because of the fenwick thread color variations. Instead I was wondering if I could apply something over top to secure things back into place and keep things original to the factory config.

I have a rod turner and have some experience with both epoxy finishes and urethanes too. If you were in my spot, what would you do? I will try and take some pics to post too.

Post 08 Jul 2021, 16:29 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I'd just varnish it.

Post 13 Jul 2021, 18:58 • #3 
Guide
Here are the pics I promised. Seems like standard spar urethane applied over the top of what’s there already is the way to go?

Post 13 Jul 2021, 21:20 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Varnish or a coat of epoxy finish might work for a while, but it looks like that guide is bent, possibly installed that way, or bent when it was loose. Its feet don't sit flush to the rod, inviting abrasion at the two concentrated pressure points (the very ends of each foot), and letting it rock left and right. It might have gotten that way because it loosened--a lot--or it loosened because it was that way. Regardless, short of a gob of epoxy, it is going to loosen again. For that reason alone, I'd want to remove that one, straighten the feet to sit flat, or just replace it. Then you could refinish with your product of choice. I'd inspect the others as well; they get to shifting around, they can wear the blank--brittle, too tight, or too loose wraps can all enable that shifting. Covering them with new finish can help, but if they are off as much as that one, replace and rewrap will yield a more durable outcome than just recoating the problem. If two or three more need attention, then it's almost as easy to do them all. That isn't a collector rod for which pure authenticity might make a difference. No, you may not be able to find the exact Fenwick brown thread, but you can get so close the difference won't be noticeable--and you will have better wraps and more carefully fitted guides than the original.

Post 13 Jul 2021, 22:52 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Wonder how the heck it got like that. I would be taking that one off to fix it.

Post 14 Jul 2021, 01:58 • #6 
Administrator
That's not pretty. A guide that poor fitting could punch a hole thru the rod blank.

At the very least that guide needs repair. Better still replacement as it looks rather like a trolling rod guide. Cut the thread and check the blank with a bright light to check for damage. If more than one guide looks like that, replace them all.

If you replace all the guide wraps at once, all the wraps will match. I've seen all of these colors identified as the Fenwick brown. So, your choice on the color.

Tom

Post 14 Jul 2021, 07:03 • #7 
Guide
Do you guys think the trim color on the wraps is simply NCP white nylon?

Post 14 Jul 2021, 09:55 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Yes. But honestly, if you decide to replace all the guides and wraps, the additional advantage is that you can select the thread color(s) and trim, if any, that you want. A new, well fitted guide set is the main goal, but, even sticking with brown and white, the rod will look better than new.

Post 15 Jul 2021, 12:20 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
It looks to me like NCP#524 brown is the right colour if you can find some.NCP white would work just fine for the trim wrap.If the colour didnt match the worst thing that could happen is you have to replace all the wraps.For sure that stripper needs to be fixed.Maybe it was a bad factory installation.

Post 15 Jul 2021, 16:18 • #10 
Administrator
So it's clear, those threads are all old stock Gudebrod. The colors are plain 396 Dark Brown, NCP 396 Dark Brown, NCP 541 Medium Brown, NCP 5274 Chestnut, and NCP 541 Medium Brown. The two spools of NCP 541 show how much color variation we get from age and different dye lots. To make matters worse, thread on the spool looks different than thread wrapped on a dark brown blank with 50 year old yellowed varnish on top. I think the #524 on the plastic spool was a Gudebrod stock number for thread spools sold through retail outlets.

Tom

New Topic Add Reply