It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:18

New Topic Add Reply
Old Conolon
Post 15 Jun 2021, 14:52 • #1 
Afternoon folks,

New guy looking for some good advice. I am new to fly fishing but have been an avid salt and fresh fisherman my whole life. I came across an old Conolon rod and decided I would give it a go. I have always enjoyed fixing up old stuff and this rod is no different. I have done a little research on the rod and I believe it is a pre Garcia item? I have gotten a little bogged down with the information out there and was wondering if there is anyone who can set the record straight about this rods heritage. I guess my other question is this rod even worth re doing, or should I look for another setup? Any and all information is appreciated, and I thank you guys in advance for your expert opinions.

Re: Old Conolon
Post 15 Jun 2021, 22:17 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Neat old rod!

How long is it?? They were, and are nice fishing tools. Is gonna be heavy compared to a more modern glass rod. Clean ferrule well, does it fits snug and tight?

Post 16 Jun 2021, 00:39 • #3 
Administrator
Welcome to the Forum!

You have a mid-to-late 50s Conolon rod before Garcia bought them from Narmco. From the blue aluminum ferrules, you likely have an inexpensive rod. The top end Conolons of the mid-50s had bronze Super-Z ferrules and more expensive reelseats. Conolon was known to sell inexpensive uncataloged rods to small retail stores. You might have one of those. Beyond that, the photos don't indicate the rod length or any model numbers (if there are any). More photos and information would help.

Looks like the cork needs work, but the reelseat and ferrules appear to be usable. That makes it a less expensive project if you wish to rewrap and refinish.

Tom

Post 16 Jun 2021, 06:40 • #4 
I’ll measure it and post. No model numbers that I can see?

Post 16 Jun 2021, 19:42 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
As far as history goes, That is definitely pre-Garcia (so 1962 or earlier and it looks like a 1950's era rod). We have some Conolon experts here. "the purist' and "Fishkat" have some of deepest knowledge so I won't guess more. The label shape and imprint should be able to date it fairly precisely.

What length is the rod when assembled? I enjoy the old conolon rods, but they are an acquired taste and anything over 8' is going to be a bit heavy.

If the guides are not rusted or pitted, you might just want to try the rod as is. If the guides are not in good shape, they will rip up your fly line, and that gets expensive really quickly.

Tom's advise on keeping the reelseat and cork is good.

Post 18 Jun 2021, 19:48 • #6 
Measured the rod, it’s 8 1/2 long. The guides appear in nice shape and looking at the aluminum I’m not sure the rod was ever fished. I’m starting to think a more modern rod will be a better starter rod and I might just put this one up for sale to a person who would appreciate it more. Not sure what the value is, but I’m sure it will put a dent in a new setup. I really appreciate the help you guys gave.

Post 19 Jun 2021, 08:35 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
The value isn't going to put much of a dent in a modern rod. This vintage, even in excellent condition goes for well under $100.

But I do agree, a more modern rod would be a better starting point. There are great deals on used 2pc graphite rods, and spending the money on an entry level setup at a fly shop might seem expensive, but it's cheaper than buying a bunch of used rods trying to find the right one for you.

New Topic Add Reply