It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:23

New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Jun 2021, 12:51 • #1 
Guide
Hi all,
have a wonderod 1380T that I re-wrapped/cleaned up and looks good/casts well. the cork is really pretty nice and the spring-loaded reel seat in good shape but is a little loose/wiggles with the reel on. I'd like to just inject some epoxy under the reel seat somehow without taking the seat or cork off.
Anyone ever done anything like this? I don't want to drill a hole in the seat but does the butt cap come off or anything that would allow me to get some epoxy in there?

thanks

Post 06 Jun 2021, 14:30 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Rather than trying to remedy the problem with a makeshift solution, I would start all over again by removing the reel seat. Put the butt of the rod in a quart size sealable bag and boil it from15-20 minutes. You should be able to remove the reel seat then. Let it dry and epoxy back in place. I suggest this because of the age of the rod. If a the epoxy has failed in one spot, it is likely to fail in another.

Post 07 Jun 2021, 00:28 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I'd remove and reinstall the seat also. It is easier to do than it would be mess with injecting, I think. It also gives you the option of rebuilding the arbors to size if they are deteriorated.

Post 07 Jun 2021, 16:34 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I haven't opened up a spring loaded reel seat, but wouldn't filling it with epoxy bind up the spring?

Post 07 Jun 2021, 17:26 • #5 
Administrator
kbobb wrote:
the spring-loaded reel seat in good shape but is a little loose/wiggles with the reel on.

Which part wiggles? If the main body or stationary hood are loose you will have to pull the reelseat and reglue. If the spring-loaded hood simply doesn't hold tightly, that is the nature of the beast. Compared to a typical screw lock reelseat they can be a bit wobbly.

Tom

Post 07 Jun 2021, 21:07 • #6 
Guide
Thanks folks - the whole reelseat moves, rotating around the rod axis slightly. I will take it off and re-glue it checking the arbors. I have tried the boiling water before but didn't realize it could take 15 min or so - i usually gave it about 3 - 5 min and figured it wasn't working. will boil it in a bag for 15 - 20 as suggested.

will update after i try it.
thanks

Post 07 Jun 2021, 22:28 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I find the boiling water bit ineffective. I use a heat gun, get it hot.

And I would be interested in seeing what that spring loading seat looks like

New Topic Add Reply