It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:20

New Topic Add Reply
Tip section stent
Post 27 May 2021, 10:53 • #1 
Master Guide
My friend brought me a rod with a cleanly broken blank about 12" from the tip. It's an "S" glass rod I built for him on a 3pc 7'6" 'Bloke' blank several years ago.

Fortunately 1) the break is clean 2) the rod has spigot ferrules and I have a section of Batson SPG glass that fits nicely up from the bottom of the tip section so I'll be able to snugly secure a stent no problem 2) the break is only 1/2" from end of a guide wrap, so I'll be able to first make a nice sharp edge to the wrap and then simply continue it's wrap over the stent & break.

Wondering if I can get some advice on several details. 1) would a 2" stent be about right - 1" on each side of the break or is that too long .... remember it's about 12" from the tip.
2) the blank and stent are quite small in diameter but the stent is still large enough that it has a small diameter hole .... would it be wise to insert a section of music wire or straight spring wire into the hole or should the SPG glass be sufficient by itself?
3) should I extend the guide wrap to the break and then about 1/2" on the other side of the break, or should I take it a bit further ? The wrap will have a Threadmaster -Lite finish.

Thanks all. - Miles

Re: Tip section stent
Post 27 May 2021, 15:36 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Personally, an inch both sides is a little much, but not much. I always mull over this, hmmmm, I would go a bit less

I'm betting the SPG glass would be fine. I often use busted up pieces of graphite tips ( I have lots of busted graphite tips), as a matter of fact, I will be doing this on a Parametric soon, it is broke about 3" down from the tip.

I would move the guide 1/2", when you are done repair will not be visible, center the damage underneath a guide wrap.

Once upon a time, I was overthinking this kind of thing and would play around with inserting something inside the stent, right at the point were the two damaged pieces come together....say a 1/2" piece of spring wire, figuring that the weak spot would be right at the old break. I no longer do this and don't have any problems. However, I wouldn't blame you for doing such a thing. I would not put a spring wire the full length of the stent, that's gonna be too stiff right there.

Post 27 May 2021, 19:59 • #3 
Master Guide
Quote:
I would move the guide 1/2", when you are done repair will not be visible, center the damage underneath a guide wrap.

Hey !! - That's a great idea !! I did a hybrid of that, I cut out 3/4" of the blank at the break which shifted the joint to 1/8" past the guide foot's tip. I didn't want to risk chafing the rod if I moved the guide. I'll extend the wrap past the joint.

I did add a piece of flexible wire in the stent's tiny hole to provide some 'hoop strength' .... its very flexible & will not be stiff.

Thanks very much for your advice, the slightly longer wrap on 1 side of the guide is a lot better than having a separate wrap for the stent !!

Post 28 May 2021, 19:07 • #4 
Administrator
84% and photos help.

As in the minimum stent diameter needs to be at least 84% of the rod blank outer diameter at the break. Otherwise the stent is weaker than the blank. Photos of the damage next to a ruler or tape measure are always helpful. Actual measurements are even better. Magicwrench made two excellent suggestions - using a section of graphite tip for a stent and moving the guide to cover the repair.

My first lab assistant used to have a saying. "Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can." For future reference, many forum rod builders don't visit every day. You asked a question and posted about the repair 11 hours later. Please give forum members time to answer the question.

Tom

New Topic Add Reply