It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:28

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 May 2021, 17:23 • #1 
Guide
Hello guys, I am hoping to find someone that may have the ferrules that I need. The male ferrule is what I need but of course a set would also work. I used a set of gauge pins and found the dimension of the slide needs to be .234", .233 is a looser fit. The .234" is nice and snug. If anyone has a set or a male in the red preferred I would sure appreciate it, or if you had a lead on one.

I will post some photos of the rod.
The last photo shows the rod laying next to an early Fenwick

Post 23 May 2021, 18:08 • #2 
Administrator
That will be a tough to find ferrule. The more recently made Sizematic ferrules (with the rubber O-ring) are nearly extinct in the wild. I haven't seen the older red anodized ferrules for sale anywhere in over a decade (eBay?).

How bad are the existing ferrules? I'm assuming you tried the standard candle wax and beeswax quick fixes...

Tom

Post 23 May 2021, 18:24 • #3 
Guide
Tom, thankyou for responding. No I haven't tried the beeswax yet. I am sure it would probably work fine. I was just hoping to eventually find a replacement. I will probably build one some time in the future and post the results here.

This original male slide has had the original anodizing sanded off and the tip is actually loose enough to spin.

Either way it will get fished. The rod was gifted to me by a good friend of mine. It was his father's. His father and I both served in the same unit although he was senior enlisted and I was a young sergeant.

The rod is 7' 10" and feels really nice.

Post 23 May 2021, 20:18 • #4 
Master Guide
Are you stuck on red or would a different color work. Say gold or green

Post 23 May 2021, 20:43 • #5 
Guide
Cheffy, Gold or Green would be fine. Green would match the seat but either works for me.

Do you have a set?

PM or email please.

[Please do not post your personal details, email, or phone numbers. If you need to swap contact info, please do that by private message (PM). Tom]

Post 24 May 2021, 08:03 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Is authenticity the goal ? Makes sense if the rod will receive light use and you want to keep after the ferrules and use care with them. If it were me, and I wanted to use the rod a lot, I couldn't get rid of those fast enough. They could just as well be replaced with a more durable set. The full-color, in spirit of the original, can be achieved by wrapping the ferrule all the way up.

Post 24 May 2021, 10:05 • #7 
Guide
A very good idea Whrlpool. I want to fish this rod but I do have plenty other rods. I guess it means more to me because of who gave it to me. I am sure that a good set of serviceable ferrules would preserve the rod and I will probably end up going that way. I just thought that I could try here first. :)

Post 25 May 2021, 11:04 • #8 
Guide
What is the measurement of the male ferrule? I'm not familiar with how that ferrule is constructed internally, but I wonder if you could get someone to turn down the male ferrule a touch more and install a sleeve to bring it back up to the correct size. Sleeve could be either aluminum to match the original or could be a different material to reduce the chance of wear and/or galling.

Post 25 May 2021, 11:10 • #9 
Guide
Tom, that actually sounds like a good idea. I can try that.

Off to do some lathe work. :)

Post 25 May 2021, 20:57 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Try beeswax (any sewing shop) first. Clean the ferrule, and then rub it on with a leather or cloth pad. Unless the ferrule is now so loose it clicks or flies apart after a few casts, it will probably be too tight at first. Rub off more. This will prevent all future wear, and one little container from a sewing shop will last a lifetime. Just keep a few pads and the wax handy, let's say in the rod tube or bag, and refresh the coating from time to time.

Having said that, it would be interesting to see if you can successfully sleeve the male ferrule. But if you can do that, you could also make an entirely new one.

New Topic Add Reply