It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:20

New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 May 2021, 16:10 • #1 
Sport
Howdy all!

I have a 9' 6wt Orvis Golden Eagle that has developed two cracks in the grip. I would like to find the least invasive way to fix them.

It's a pretty full flexing rod, so I can feel the cork separating under hand when fighting even moderately strong fish. I'm wondering if I can find a way to inject some adhesive to the cracks, or if it's just going to part again when the rod starts really flexing. Mostly I am looking for an at-home remedy, if I can avoid sending it back to Orvis to get fixed that would be ideal.

Thanks!
Nate

Post 13 May 2021, 20:22 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
1. Use a razor blade to cut the damaged ring(s) all the way around at the glue seams. Favor the good rings above and below the damaged one so that their edges remain intact.
2. Cut into the damage rings as need be to remove them. Pliers may help to gouge and twist them out.
3. Use a narrow band of sandpaper to remove any remants that adhere to the blank. Any that don't come off easily can stay there; you just need a good clean, reasonably round section for bonding to the new ring.
4. Ream the hole on a new ring to the approximate diameter of the exposed blank.
5, Using a razor blade, cut the ring in half across its bore.
6. Insert and fit the the halves onto the blank,making sure the cuts match up neatly, and checking that the bore is snug to the blank, sanding it a bit more if need be.
7. After checking fit, insert and glue the halves onto the blank and pressed together.
8. Once the glue is dry, hand sand to shape.

Post 13 May 2021, 22:06 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Before you remove the rings (and that may be necessary) there are specific syringes that you can use to inject mixed 2-part epoxy into the spots (make sure its something with a relatively low viscosity). I would try that to see if it works well enough before removing the rings.

I did this once to fill a void beneath a cork ring, and it worked well enough. Here are the syringes and epoxy I used.

https://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Builders-Repair-Syringe
https://www.mudhole.com/Devcon-2-Ton-Epoxy

Post 14 May 2021, 06:40 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
No harm in trying that, but the epoxy glue, flexing differently, expanding and contracting at a different rate, and being stronger than the substrate, may simply tear/break it again at a slightly different position. If the goal is just a cosmetic repair, a relatively weak, flexible adhesive mixed with cork dust will work better.

Post 14 May 2021, 07:29 • #5 
Master Guide
Those cracks look pretty fine. Before doing any cutting I would try injecting some wood glue titebond III works great. You will want to use a very fine needle tip syringe like this:

https://proof-fly-fishing.myshopify.com ... needle-tip

Post 14 May 2021, 08:19 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Yup, but same thing. No harm trying, wood glue fitting the bill. But according to the description, the ring/crack opens under flex. The cork is fatigued/dried and with less resilience than new cork because the flex has compressed it and it doesn't return to shape when the rod straightens. So reglued or not, quite likely it will do the same thing. A fresh, resilient cork ring probably will too, but only after a much longer service life. A new ring can be built up on its flats very slightly before installation by gluing on sheet cork, then sanding almost to the original flat. In this way, that slightly plumper ring has a bit more flex and cushion to prolong its life before it cracks. I like the idea of simplest first when it doesn't obviate another method, so if I were new to the process, I'd at least have the glue injected, maybe a little cork dust mixed in by now.

On the other hand, if the hesitance is the cutting and inserting, I'll just say it is so easy even I can do it, as could anyone else old enough to handle a razor blade. After sanding, and once the grip is uniformly clean/dirty again, such a repair is virtually undetectable.

Post 14 May 2021, 09:07 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I’ll revise my idea. Matt is right—go with wood glue instead of epoxy to see if that keeps you from having to replace the rings.

Post 15 May 2021, 19:18 • #8 
Sport
Thanks all!

I have some fine tipped needles that should do the trick for injecting adhesive. I'm going to try a flexible adhesive first and see how it does, though I like the idea of cutting the cork out if I need to. That seems like a relatively simple fix if it comes to that.

Thanks again, I'll probably post again after I try the adhesive and get a day to test it out.

Nate

Post 16 May 2021, 07:54 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
When the cork is old and on softer rods injecting glue works ok but it will crack soon again or some other spot.If it were me I would send it back to Orvis for a new handle........Aurelio

New Topic Add Reply