It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:44

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 May 2021, 21:34 • #1 
Sport
So...........Finally received some lower grade Portuguese rings to practice with ( Flor grade rings are en route to start building with ) and the drill setup I put together seems to work fine. After studying different grips ( from older bamboo rodmakers to current builders ) I've played around and have turned 6 grips so far and somewhat getting the hang of it and still have plenty of cork left to practice with which I will do in the coming weeks. I've been using Tightbond III and shaping sequence has been 60 grit followed by 120,150,220 and then 320 ( any different suggestions ? ). I'm finding my preferences are for a longer grip ( 6 1/2" - 7" ) with a thicker diameter in either a cigar, HW or Ritz. I realize there are probably plenty of favorite grip shape threads but I am curious as to your preferred shape for weights 5 and under, and why, so I'm asking again. I'm also noticing * modified grip shapes, so for those of you who are turning your own grips and deviating from standard shapes I'm curious as to what you are tweaking and your reasoning behind it. Just trying to get as much input as possible as I learn so thank you for your feedback and time !

Post 11 May 2021, 06:29 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Just a few random thoughts. To insure a gap-free fit between rings, assemble dry on an arbor and spin each one until it any gaps disappear. Then lay a straight edge on lengthwise and use a ballpoint to draw a line along the length. Then number each ring. Remove rings, apply glue one at a time and put on arbor in the numbered order and spin each to align to the marked line. I never go over 1" diameter at the widest point - usually 15/16". I never leave a sharp corner at either end of the grip - I always ease the corners just a bit. I prefer to turn at speeds much higher than your drill set-up can do. Wear a mask when sanding :)

Post 11 May 2021, 07:00 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Your own hand tells you what's comfortable, but that feel depends on the rod. Thus, smart move to leave preformed grips slightly oversize so you can then fine tune them as you check the feel when installing on a particular blank.

Post 11 May 2021, 07:57 • #4 
Sport
tiptop wrote:
Just a few random thoughts. To insure a gap-free fit between rings, assemble dry on an arbor and spin each one until it any gaps disappear. Then lay a straight edge on lengthwise and use a ballpoint to draw a line along the length. Then number each ring. Remove rings, apply glue one at a time and put on arbor in the numbered order and spin each to align to the marked line. I never go over 1" diameter at the widest point - usually 15/16". I never leave a sharp corner at either end of the grip - I always ease the corners just a bit. I prefer to turn at speeds much higher than your drill set-up can do. Wear a mask when sanding :)

Thank you ! Great tips and I will certainly number and align. I'm turning at around 2500 RPM and these are pretty easy to shape at that speed. I'll likely end up delving deeper into the rabbit hole and purchase a lathe as at some point I'd like to try my hand at turning reel seats.

whrlpool wrote:
Your own hand tells you what's comfortable, but that feel depends on the rod. Thus, smart move to leave preformed grips slightly oversize so you can then fine tune them as you check the feel when installing on a particular blank.

Gotcha. I have large hands and a larger diameter grip just feels a bit better to me compared to some of the very skinny grips I've used in the past. THAT being said I guess I should consider grip diameter in terms of dampening the feel of the rod as well as comfort correct ? And leaving a grip slightly oversized and tweaking when installed, are you fine tuning them by hand sanding or turning again on a lathe already epoxied in place ? My current setup of course wouldn't allow for that and I guess my only option would be to hand sand or go ahead and ream and pre fit the grip, test for feel, and then re mount it back on the mandrel and fine tune. Doing that would it work to build the mandrel up in a few areas with masking tape and hold the grip tightly in place with mandrel collars ? Trying to keep these as concentric as possible with a crude setup.

Post 11 May 2021, 08:27 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I just glue up rings and turn to shape on the blank, so your set up is much less "crude" and I'm not sure of all the fine tuning options using a mandrel. Later on, though, if a grip just needs a tweak, hand turning will do that.

Post 11 May 2021, 08:42 • #6 
Sport
Gotcha. And thank you ! Ideally I'd prefer to shape a grip on the rod as it seems using a file to bore it out blindly isn't the most precise fit. And I would think it would be much easier to achieve an exact transition from cork to seat ( cap and ring ) which is something I've been admiring lately that a few builders are doing. I guess I could always mic it out and hand sand it after assembly however. Still need quite a bit of practice before I'd trust myself not to screw it up though, so for now preformed on a mandrel will be the method.

Post 11 May 2021, 09:36 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, turning on the blank is always preferable. Other than that, don’t overthink it. It doesn’t take a lot of practice, just a lot of patience to stop and measure frequently.

Post 12 May 2021, 12:41 • #8 
Master Guide
This may be a noob dumb question- how do you secure a long blank section in a lathe for turning it?
Is there a particular lathe that you find helpful for example, or is a drill the way to go?

Would live to see specifics of what everyone uses for lathe and chucks and how to attach blank to lathe without damaging blank.

Harbor Freight has a lathe for $250 for example that may be just right for turning cork without breaking the bank?

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-too ... 65345.html

(Don’t mean to hijack this thread - happy to start a new thread if this turns into a hijack.)

Regarding the OP’s original question, I found a cork grip that I like that isn’t really a “conventional” design - rather a blend of a few different grip styles maybe? I’ve not built any grips, but when I’ve ordered a custom grip, I mic the dimensions at various places and send it to the maker and have been very pleased with the results.

Post 12 May 2021, 16:15 • #9 
Administrator
Guadalupe Bass wrote:
This may be a noob dumb question - how do you secure a long blank section in a lathe for turning it? Is there a particular lathe that you find helpful for example, or is a drill the way to go?

If I'm gluing rings to the rod blank for shaping, I use the home brew 'rod lathe' in the photo below. The 'headstock' is a right angle gear motor with a 1/4" shaft. I push a piece of rubber tubing over the shaft. Then I push the rod blank over the rubber tubing. The goal is a tenuous connection that will disconnect if the rod blank gets jammed. Even a wimpy conventional lathe with a chuck will easily shatter a rod blank. A short piece of dowel chucked in a drill would work the same way.

I use a 20" box fan to collect the cork dust. I tape a furnace filter to the fan and place it next to the lathe. When you are done, save some dust to mix with glue as a filler. I use the lathe as a wrapping cradle (after thoroughly vacuuming and wiping away the cork dust). If you can shape your cork outside, all the better.

Tom

Post 12 May 2021, 16:33 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Guadalupe Bass wrote:
This may be a noob dumb question- how do you secure a long blank section in a lathe for turning it?

LOTS of painters tape on the blank and tighten the chuck by hand.

Post 12 May 2021, 16:54 • #11 
Guide
whrlpool wrote:
I just glue up rings and turn to shape on the blank, so your set up is much less "crude" and I'm not sure of all the fine tuning options using a mandrel. Later on, though, if a grip just needs a tweak, hand turning will do that.

Any advice on how to chuck up a grip on the blank itself using a drill? What to use to hook it into the drill and which end, butt reel side or towards tip side?

Post 12 May 2021, 18:24 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I have a little expanding widget that grips the inside of the butt of blank, but a shimmed dowel is fine. Somewhere you want a connection that will give way before the blank, jgestar's set up being better. Very little pressure is needed to sand a grip anyhow. I just use a handheld drill. A supporting frame like jgerstar's above would be more secure against a clumsy mistake, but the rings on a blank will turn for sanding just fine supported by the sanding hand.

Post 12 May 2021, 21:25 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I secure the other side of the blank (just up from the grip actually) with my hand. Just remember to take off any rings.

Other people have nice contraptions with rubber coated wheels that hold the rod in place. I've never purchased or built one. my hand works fine.

Post 13 May 2021, 01:12 • #14 
Guide
I can definitely see the need for the super long grips to be turned on the blank so this question only applies to the typical one handed grips: besides the ease of reaming out each ring to the right diameter beforehand, why do you prefer turning on the blank? I only see downsides otherwise; granted, they're mostly preference or lack of confidence on my part:
    -possible (and likely for me anyway) screwing up the grip
    -not knowing what the cork will look like once it's turned down
    -inability to arrange it on the blank (either for appearance or to put a void away from where I grab it)
    -possible blank damage

So far no issues with reaming after it's glued up, or with matching the blank diameter at the front. I just use a round coarse rasp and then down to a round file for finish. Fit is always good and epoxy fills in any tiny voids that might be there. I guess time will tell but so far no issues after 5 years on some builds. I built a drill set up as well and have used that to fine-tune a grip after installed (nervously) and it worked out fine. But I pretty quickly bought a small Rikon lathe anyway for turning inserts, so grips on a mandrel is about as easy as it gets.

I do the same thing Tom does with spinning the rings to complement each other and marking a line down it for when gluing. But I start at 40 grit and work through to 800. I prefer the super smooth feel (or silky smooth for you Zohan fans, lol). My experience is not only does it look and feel like a million bucks, it also doesn't get as dirty. These are my favorite 3 shapes, with the first one being my new favorite:

Post 13 May 2021, 06:19 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Eliminates a step and various equipment; eliminates full-length reaming; reaming each ring to fit its position on the blank ensures a uniform thin, flexible glue joint without voids or gobs, ensures concentricity to the blank; makes custom shaping to the rod's feel easier as the rod is assembled. Simpler, easier, no special tools needed.

Better? You can't argue with the success of either method. A hobbyist knows how to fix stuff up anyway, so potential slim-chance pitfalls aren't significant but can be considered. Erratic glue joints--thin spots, voids, and lumps--may occur with a full length grip slid on the rod, and the glue used may be stronger than the cork. In use, these work against each other such that the grip may fail from the inside. Oh well, replacing a grip with another already formed on a mandrel is easy enough.

Cosmetics. Before on-the-blank shaping, you can sort the corks, number them for position, and pretty much spot voids or pits that may be appear in sanding to shape. You can sequence them as you wish, ream to fit and slide onto the blank, numbering each as you go. Check again, glue in place. Sand and shape. Worst can happen is this reveals a few spots you don't like. Remove and replace. Takes maybe an hour, if that, start to finish, not much more with a do over. Probably that's the possible pitfall that tips me to favor this method. I don't care if the grip isn't pure and smooth, which means slippery to me. I have poor feel in my gripping hand, so I want the texture of irregularities in the grip. I even turn the rings at key positions, like where they will be under my thumb and index finger, so faults are likely to be exposed. I pick the densest rings for the top and bottom of the grip as these will be most chip resistant.

Post 12 Jun 2021, 07:58 • #16 
Guide
whrlpool wrote:

As far as hand tuning on the blank that is no problem. In fact you tan turn the whole grip by hand on the blank if you want to.

Sit in a chair outside, use your thighs as a platform to hold and roll the blank. Progress with your sanding (I go up to 400 grit). It takes about 15 minutes.

I like it because I sit outside and let the dust drop in the air, and is pretty relaxing, creating the shape and feel that you want.

As mentioned earlier, the rod dictates the shape at times. I have thinned some grips this way that felt too heavy in hand, then shaved off more and got it just right. Changed the whole rod feel.

New Topic Add Reply