It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:35

New Topic Add Reply
Rod Grip Tinkering
Post 10 May 2021, 10:58 • #1 
Guide
The grip on this 2005 graphite rod build was too thin, and too long for my liking. Replacing it from above could be done by stripping off hook keeper/winding check wrappings, but then I’d have to re-wrap and epoxy the wraps. I’d also lose the feather inlay above the winding check. The other option was to remove the reel seat and install a new grip from the bottom, a repair method I'd never tried before.

After measuring the butt section diameter at the hook keeper, I determined I could bore cork rings to .375, bond them together, turn the grip, and then install from the bottom with minimal tape arbors under the grip. My main challenge was doing the grip removal without dislodging the existing winding check from the wrap/epoxy. With the check intact I felt I should be able to bond the grip up against the winding check as if the original grip had never been removed.

Most of the grip was chunked off, leaving the last couple rings intact for careful winding check cleanup later. After failing in my attempt to boil off the reel seat, I made lateral cuts into the reel seat and the split it off in pieces with a screwdriver. A small burring attachment in my Dremel carefully removed the rest of the cork, and with winding check intact, I bonded up thirteen cork rings and set aside for turning tomorrow.

Installing a slightly shorter grip, and a slightly longer reel seat, will mean shortening the butt section of the rod by around one-quarter inch. More pictures to come as I proceed with the repair.

05/10 Update: This morning I got the grip turned and all I can say is "wow", did I use poor cork rings! Must have been cullings of cullings.... Ha! Anyway, it'll do and the grip is now bonded in place and clamped. Also bonded a stabilized Zebrawood insert into the reel seat hardware, which is an original Struble U20. The hardware is recycled from a rod that I didn't like and disassembled. The Rod Bond should be cured enough by this evening for shortening of the blank, and installation of the reel seat.

Final Update: This evening I was able to bond and assemble the bottom end, so the repair/replacement is complete. Looking forward to some lawn casting soon.

Last edited by PENZZZ on 31 May 2021, 21:17, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Rod Grip Tinkering
Post 10 May 2021, 11:50 • #2 
Guide
Looks great Jeff. You'd never even know it wasn't built that way in the first place. Funny I was just checking out my previous post on a similar job, and you mentioned a rod with a feather in the sig. I assume this is the rod. I also just re-did one for a buddy. I don't like the demo portion one bit but I do love turning and finishing the cork and insert. Best part. BTW I use the same method for cork with the clamp and I have that exact same one.

Post 10 May 2021, 16:43 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I read the label on that rod. That's a rocket launcher. You might get your FFR licence revoked. :smokin

I still have a 5pc 5wt version to build out (its sitting with all the parts, it just needs some attention).

Post 10 May 2021, 17:12 • #4 
Guide
“You might get your FFR licence revoked”

But your honor, the rod was only intended for lawn casting....

Post 12 May 2021, 19:30 • #5 
Master Guide
Jeff, nice job your re-cork came out looking good. I like those Rainshadow blanks they cast well. Graphite is still fun, even though I fish glass 95% of the time I built a NFC Gamma Beta 905/5 and really like that rod. It casts so well for being very fast I fish it several times a month. That rod makes me look like an expert

Post 13 May 2021, 09:37 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Looking great!

New Topic Add Reply