It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:12

New Topic Add Reply
Varnish - good stuff!
Post 07 May 2021, 08:24 • #1 
Guide
I'm currently re-habbing an old Wonderrod 1380T - it had the taped-on guides, not thread wraps, and it was a pain getting them off and reasonably cleaned up. I wrapped the rod with the original colors and new guides with the same guide placement. Decided to use varnish (Helmsman spar urethane) instead of epoxy just to see what it is like - goes on nice and thin and even. Now on the fourth coat and looks like it will be the last. Easy to control, not too fussy for use and drying, no mixing (did the first coat with a 50/50 mix with paint thinner - not critical regarding ratio).

This seems like really good stuff and I think it would be good to use this to learn how to better use epoxy.

BTW the cork and spring loaded reel seat are good on this rod - ferrules reasonable, not great, (I hate metal ferrules). Guides were shot - corroded. All labels were worn off.

Post 07 May 2021, 08:31 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I like varnish better than epoxy, both for convenience and looks, and kinda like metal ferrules. Although any ferrule is a problem waiting to happen, imo, and the fewer used the better.
I bet you have fun with that rod.

Post 07 May 2021, 13:44 • #3 
Guide
Use it almost exclusively , pretty easy to control , durable , you can thin as desired , you can wet sand with 1000 grit for little blemishes in between coats , obviously it’s somewhat tannic to thread colors , so know where you are and know where you want to be with various shades (proto wraps) , I sometimes use first coat with spar urethane , then a few coats of polyurethane , followed by a couple of finish coats again with spar , seems to control the yellowing effect and add a little more clarity with script and such , tend to only use with the darker blanks though as it definitely yellows up over a short time , but so far I’ve had some decent luck with it and are pleased with the results , so far anyway ???

Post 07 May 2021, 14:55 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I switched to Ace spar from epoxy a few builds ago and I'm not going back. Spar is much easier to work with.

Post 10 May 2021, 14:29 • #5 
I wish a quart of Epifanes or Schooner didn't cost $40+. I only need a few drops. But if I buy a quart so I can put a fresh coat on my oars, it is all good.

Post 10 May 2021, 16:16 • #6 
Guide
Personally, I really do prefer epoxy ... when it's time to glue something together. But for wraps, I'd rather use varnish and the end result is much nicer.

Post 10 May 2021, 19:56 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I also switched back to spar varnish, several years ago. When I did use epoxy, it was Clemens Crystal Coat, aka Hobby Poxy. This had a consistency similar to varnish. I switched back to varnish when this stopped being produced.

I think epoxy has better long-term durability, but this is totally unnecessary for people who respect their tackle.

New Topic Add Reply