It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:48

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 May 2021, 11:39 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I'm doing a partial rebuild on a Sport King HI Prince. The vanish is really quite good on the rod. There is one 2" section just above and all the way around the grip (I removed the grip, it was rotting) where the vanish could use a touch up. Also someone had replaced the stripping guide with a large spinning rod guide. I removed that and will need to do some light sanding to remove the extra vanish from where the large wide spinning guide was and won't be covered by the smaller fly rod stripping guide. So that will need a touch up.

Finally my question - is there a way touch up the vanish in these two spots without dipping or refinishing the entire butt section. I was going to try a brush and thinned spar and try to blend it in. Tru oil or gorilla glue better for a spot refinish?

Thanks for your help!

Post 03 May 2021, 12:35 • #2 
Sport
I would suggest using varnish. Rather than worrying about spar or not, a varnish like Minwax quick drying polyurethane will do quite well. It will allow additional coats after overnight drying so that you can build the coating up to match the surrounding varnish. If the old varnish is very orange-colored, you may want to carefully stain the exposed area to match before revarnishing.

As the probable originator of using Gorilla Glue as a finish on cane rods, perhaps I would be expected to suggest it. It certainly will seal the spots without varnish, but will not provide the build that will help conceal the touchup.

Tim

Post 03 May 2021, 14:20 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Haven't done this to a bamboo, so ..., but, I don't think I'd use polyurethane nor thin the varnish either. I see this as place that the amber of "real" spar varnish (Man of War / ACE) will blend better with the existing finish, and the full body of unthinned material will build the thickness to nearer match the existing.
I think I'd first experiment with spar varnish and pigments such as burnt and raw sienna and yellow ochre to see if I could bring the varnish to the aged color of the old.
Then I think I'd use an artist brush to carefully fill the blank spots and after well cured, perhaps "rub" the whole rod.

Post 03 May 2021, 15:52 • #4 
Administrator
Driftless wrote:
I was going to try a brush and thinned spar and try to blend it in.

Traditionally cane rods were finished with brush applied varnish. Apply 2-3 thin (not thinned) coats and give each one at least a day or two to dry. I only use thinned varnish for the initial coats on new thread wraps.

Don't worry about color matching the varnish or wraps. Get the rod rebuilt enough to fish with it. If you really love it, consider a full rebuild in a winter or three.

Tom

Post 03 May 2021, 19:18 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Hey Tim, that is a neat method you developed! I'll give the spar a try (already have a fresh can of Ace from some fiberglass builds this winter) and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone!

Post 04 May 2021, 09:18 • #6 
Master Guide
I’ve done this repair a bunch. Use the spar Ace brand is good stuff. For a short spot like this just use your finger. Put on a latex glove dip your finger and rub. Doesn’t take much.
Repeat as needed.

Post 06 May 2021, 07:51 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Just an update, the spar did work well, blended in perfectly. I did thin it a bit with mineral spirits, as my spar had thickened since the last time I used it.

Thanks everyone!

New Topic Add Reply