It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:22

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 May 2021, 16:58 • #1 
Master Guide
Posting this hoping it will be of assistance to future noob rod builders.

I recently discovered that my local big box home improvement store carries solid fiberglass stents for reel seats in at least 3 different diameters (color-coded too in white, yellow & orange) & inexpensive as well. Lol.

I’ve used them on several build so far with good results.

Post 02 May 2021, 18:34 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
These things are indestructible, but heavy. I prefer to cut up old spinning rods.

Post 02 May 2021, 20:33 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks Carlz
I’ll have to try those soon. Do you prefer fiberglass or graphite or does it matter much?

I think I’ve gotten lucky so far in that the extra weight of the solid stents has allowed me to balance the rods I’ve made with lighter reels which has been working out pretty well so far.
It was not a scientific calculation, mind you - just dumb luck so far . Lol..

Post 02 May 2021, 22:59 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Personally, I'm not picky about graphite vs glass stents. I pay more attention to the fit than the material.

I've even found solid glass rods are lighter than those driveway markers. I haven't done a scientific measurement on them, it's just my intuition

Post 01 Jun 2021, 21:18 • #5 
Master Guide
i have used those before. sometimes a little extra weight in the butt is a good thing. don't like my rods tip heavy

Post 02 Jun 2021, 06:38 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Broken rod scraps are easy to come by. If a hobbiest likes to have stuff on hand for many potential uses, solid 'glass baitcasting rods are versatile for seat stents, spigots, and stent repairs almost anywhere on a rod. East to find at flea markets, junk shops, and the like. Almost as versatile, with very fine diameters for repairs close to the tip, are solid glass ice-fishing blanks, available from suppliers like Mudhole: https://www.mudhole.com/Solid-Fiberglass-Ice-Rod-Blanks

Post 02 Jun 2021, 18:53 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Actually I like the weight - I think it works to counteract tip heaviness in longer rods.

New Topic Add Reply