It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Apr 2021, 20:18 • #1 
Sport
This one has me scratching my head a bit.

I recently picked up a Fisher blank that's a bit of an odd duck. It's a 3 piece blank marked as 7'10" 5 WT. The tape lists the model number as a 2053 which doesn't seem to fit the Fisher convention nor is it listed in any of the pretty limited catalog info that's still available through various posts here and there. There's certainly reference to a 2058 out there (I infer a 2 piece, 5 WT, 8') so this rod - if it was a catalog rod - might be a 3057-10?

That said, it absolutely has all of the hallmarks of a Fisher blank: classic Winston brown, solid white spigots, exceptional quality/consistency, light weight (about 2.3 oz.), absolutely period correct, etc. I've purchased vintage blanks off of the seller previously and have talked with him on occasion - he knows his classic glass and I don't have any concerns about its authenticity. I just can't seem to get close to anything else Fisher after scrubbing the posts and scouring the net.

I'm trying to narrow down anything known about the blank. Did Fisher build many (or any) three piece blanks? At 7'10", could this be a System 5 cut/spigoted differently at the factory? System 5's are what? 7'8"? Is there something else known from the era that may better align with the characteristics on this blank?

I'm at a bit of a loss and could use a little help with this one but at the end of the day, I'm still going to build it up and fish the heck out of it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Post 22 Apr 2021, 20:48 • #2 
Piscator
System 5 are 7'7" 2-pc

Post 22 Apr 2021, 21:19 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Bet that is a wonderful rod once built up. enjoy.

Post 23 Apr 2021, 08:20 • #4 
Guide
Looks like a Randy @ Retroglass buy. He's a great guy. Could he tell you anything more about the blank?

Post 23 Apr 2021, 09:06 • #5 
Guide
I have a 3-piece Hardy JET that is 8ft 6-weight. That blank looks mighty close to it in almost every respect.
And what is one line weight difference in vintage glass?

Post 23 Apr 2021, 09:33 • #6 
Sport
Hi Jesse.

The blank did come from Randy. We traded a bunch of notes on it before and after the purchase - a TON of really interesting history, valuable discussion, etc. but he couldn't offer an more particulars about the blank itself.

Sash: Thx - I didn't realize the JETs were 3 pcs. I'll do a little digging there.

Post 23 Apr 2021, 13:29 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Id be interested if the 3pc fisher you have, is the taper is the same as comparable length/lineweight 2pc fishers (and simply cut/ferruled as a 3pc), or if the taper is specifically-designed to be a 3pc rod.

Post 23 Apr 2021, 13:50 • #8 
Sport
Happy to spend some time exploring that before I land a guide on the blank Corlay.

If anyone has a comparable 2 pc blank available, let's pick the tip, butt, and a couple of points in between and compare measurements. Happy to continue that conversation by PM.

Post 23 Apr 2021, 15:25 • #9 
Guide
I have a 2 piece Fisher 7' 4/5 wt, that I've actually put up for sale in the classified section here. I would be happy to measure it if that would help the discussion! What do you need me to do?

Post 23 Apr 2021, 15:29 • #10 
Guide
jeffroey wrote:
Sash: Thx - I didn't realize the JETs were 3 pcs. I'll do a little digging there.

The vast majority were not! They were 2-piece.
Mine was effectively a forerunner of the 4-piece Fibalite Smuggler (which also had the white Fisher spigots)

Post 23 Apr 2021, 18:22 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Winston had 3 piece rods in their trout series, the blank manufactured by Fisher, but I don't know if they were cut and ferruled by Winston. Those would have been the more reddish hue that was specific to Winston, but Fisher may have made a similar brown blank suitable for cutting to thirds. In any case, first, realize that blank dimensions are nominal, and/or that one could have been cut, trimmed, and ferruled a certain way to meet an individual customer's request, one only or a small lot. If you study the Fisher catalog here ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1043&p=130436&hilit=Fisher+catalog#p130436 ) you might even be able to identify the blank roughly by tip and butt dimensions, which then would have been cut and ferruled to someone's spec. If Randy labled the rod, he could tell you why he did it that way (practical for his own sorting and inventory needs?), and any info he has/remembers will probably be about as good as it gets. Then, just judge and build it for what it is--it is going to be a good one--and you will know it best.

Post 23 Apr 2021, 22:24 • #12 
Sport
Missed the Fisher papers. Thx for pointing me to them.

My blank's tip/butt dimensions align rather well with a catalog x2678 which is a 8' 6/7 WT (my blank's tip 0.0840 / butt 0.513).

Here's my blank map:

T=0.0840" --------[32.25"]-------- 0.232" // 0.235" --------[30.75]-------- 0.364" // 0.380" --------[30.5]-------- B= 0.513"

I find it interesting that the blank dims on either side of the upper ferrule cut are nearly dead on. The lower ferrule shows a difference of 0.016" on the diameter at the ferrule cut. Running my caliper down the blank from that point results in that diameter difference corresponding to about 3" of blank length so yes, this is starting to feel like an 8 footer most likely factory ferruled as a 3 piece.

Maybe an inclusion of some sort in the roll at an opportunistic point that led to a "cut it out and make it a 3 piece" on the factory floor? Of course that's just crazy conjecture by me. With alignment to an x2678, this thread's discussion seems relevant to my scenario:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39962

I don't see the ferruling issues discussed in that thread - in fact quite the opposite. Dead straight, all my cuts are square, and the spigots very much look like they were set in from the outside.

Really just curious at trying to put this little puzzle together. At the end of the day, I don't know if it changes anything except maybe picking a different starting point off of Tom Morgan's guide spacing chart - perhaps an 8' 6 wt - and now facing an unexpected decision between this rod and a Lami S-Glass 8' 6 wt when I reach for a rod with this length/line weight. I look forward to having that problem.

Post 24 Apr 2021, 07:17 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Good! If you are really curious, you could also closely examine the blank ends to see if there is continuity section to section, indicating they were cut from one blank--as opposed to being sourced from two or three blanks. Back in the day, I found the Fisher blank dimensions to be useful indicators. I suppose they still are, and from a few other makers who produce in sufficient volume to have mastered an action type and don't have something "new" every other week. A long ago conclusion I seem to remember is that in Fisher (and several others), a 5 1/2/64 tip was usually a 6 or 7, a 5/64 tip a 5. In some with a 5/64 tip, the butt diameter would be an indicator, larger for a 6 weight. Never handled a Smuggler as mentioned above, but I can tell you, owning both, that 8' Fisher 6 is very easy to tell apart from the 8' Fisher 5 weight. One weight down would be noticeable on either. Similarly, the Fisher 6/7 is dialed in that way, and easy to notice as a hair stronger than a Fisher 6, both visually and in fishing/casting.

It is great to have a quality blank even if the details are unkown. This enables you to observe the blank for what it is, not for advertising or swooning review preconceptions. Its characteristics will reveal themselves as you build it and fish it. I tried to explain why, but magic nailed it in post 3 above.

Post 25 Apr 2021, 21:46 • #14 
Guide
My 8' 2pc blank measures, T= .0815 / 32.25"= .2230 / 30.75"= .3640 / 30.5" B= .4910

Post 26 Apr 2021, 11:17 • #15 
Sport
Thx for the info 2wtt. Curious if yours is built up. If so and you're measuring below the tip top and maybe above the grip, it seems like it would align to an x2058 - an 8' 5 wt. Does that seem like the right line weight for yours?

Post 26 Apr 2021, 12:13 • #16 
Guide
Its not built up yet & I just know its going to be a sweet rod. But the tip is installed and I did measure just below it, nothing on the butt to interfere with that measurement but I may not have been all that "exact" with measuring at precise inches such as the 30.25" or 30.75" marks. And you know some times I just wonder about my digital caliper, good thing I'm not a maker :) but what I mean is precise & exact measurements but if I get the same # at least twice thats the one I go with. If you want me to fumble with some more measurments I would be glad to oblige.

New Topic Add Reply