It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:18

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Apr 2021, 14:15 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
So I have had this rod for about 3 years. It is a great rod it came to me intact with the exception of 2 guides missing. I had them repaired and fished it till mid last Spring. I had a fish on and then not on...I figured the slight spring/snap I felt was due to the fish slipping the hook or a broken tippit...when I looked down at the line on the water to see if the fly was gone, I saw the rod tip still on the fly line...I grabbed it up to keep it from being lost in the river. I had a back up rod and finished the day, but this bummed me out. I have had the rod and tip sitting on a shelf at home.

I am noticing that the blank is showing some age and sun and weather issues...should I run it down to Rick's Rods or is it time to let the old FF79 retire? I have other rods and don't need it...but I am not a use and dispose of kind of guy...

What are your thoughts.

Post 14 Apr 2021, 15:03 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I'd let the rod repair man take a look at it, a stent and over wrap doesn't cost much and should return it to use, however if you don't plan to use it, well ... the resell value won't be much.
Rod guy/gal can tell you if the plastic is to far gone from sun exposure and/or if it is repairable.

There is also a possibility that you may find a tip section that fits that butt or that you might find someone needing a butt section.

Last edited by Trev on 14 Apr 2021, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

Post 14 Apr 2021, 15:25 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Perhaps you should repair it for the practice, then give it to some young lad who is just starting out.

Post 14 Apr 2021, 15:48 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Is simple to fix, and you can just move that guide up a tad to hide the repair if you care.

I have a couple of rods repaired in about that spot and I kinda like fishing old warhorses.

Post 15 Apr 2021, 11:03 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the thoughts, I have another project for Rick's Rods...so I'll haul it down there too...

Thanks again

Scott

Post 15 Apr 2021, 14:32 • #6 
Administrator
Can the rod be repaired? and Should the rod be repaired? are very different questions.

There are plenty of functional FF79s out there. Doing a repair for experience or to pass the rod to a new fly fisher might be a worthwhile project. Doing an inexpensive home-brew repair to squeeze a couple more years out of a favorite rod might be worthwhile. Spending good money on a deteriorating rod that you can live without is not worthwhile. Unless you have a sentimental attachment, repairs to an old, common rod typically are not cost effective.

If you have multiple projects for a rod shop, perhaps offer them the remains for their parts collection.

Tom

Post 17 Apr 2021, 12:15 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Keep an eye out for another one at a reasonable price. The repair is going to cost a fair bit and change the action of the rod. I would suggest going ahead and taking a stab at fixing it yourself (there was a recent post about using spring wire for this). Or just another nice 8' 5/6wt. There are a lot of options out there that compare well.

Post 17 Apr 2021, 14:20 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
It will not be cost effective unless you do the repair yourself.

New Topic Add Reply