It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:07

New Topic Add Reply
Rods # 3 & # 4
Post 13 Apr 2021, 11:42 • #1 
Sport
In the past few months have finished out rods three and four ( Iconoglass 764/4 and JG TTS 895/3 ) which I'm pretty happy with and have learned a lot from. I think at this point however I'm going to take a break and experiment with different wrap finishing techniques ( epoxy vs. varnish vs. urethane etc. ) as well as learn to turn cork. Instead of buying a lathe ( which I still may do ) I've assembled a corded drill set up sort of based on what I've seen and read about on other threads. Already had the drill so purchased a cheap bench top 'drill press' and mounted it vertically on some scrap wood. Still waiting on cork to test it out but it seems to spin true enough to shape a few grips so we shall see. Again, thanks to those of you who have given me advice and answered silly questions, it's been much appreciated !

Decided to build out the Iconoglass 764/4 in gray after researching here as well as getting recommendations for this blank. Just lawn casting the rod is a 5 weight in my hands, and though I have yet to fish it I'm pretty sure I'll continue to fish it as a 5 wt and I like the taper very much ! I waivered on using epoxy to get crystal clear wraps with the red tipping vs using a varnish and getting an amber hue to the wraps and went with the varnish and I like how it turned out though in the future if I build another one I may use an epoxy and go for a clear wrap look. This one balances out nicely with a Sage 504L..........

The other rod I assembled is a James Green Trophy Trout Series 895/3 which is a wonderful 5 wt in my hands with a little bit of extra length for the tailwaters I typically fish and plenty of power for longer casts when needed. I've fished it quite a bit the past few weeks and absolutely love the taper, it's definitely a keeper ! I used a red silk for the wraps, varnished, and though hard to see in the pictures as the silk darkened quite a bit against the black blank it looks great in the sunlight.

And cheap drill setup........

Re: Rods # 3 & # 4
Post 13 Apr 2021, 11:44 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Nice, clean work!

The color scheme on the grey blank is especially nice and pretty unique.

Post 13 Apr 2021, 14:39 • #3 
Guide
Nice work. Interesting color combination on the Iconoglass rod - it works. Lovely reel seat on that rod too. Can I ask where the seat hardware is from?
Ron

Post 13 Apr 2021, 15:11 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Both look beautiful! Good call on the vanish for the gray rod.

Post 13 Apr 2021, 16:10 • #5 
Sport
Thanks for the positive feedback ! Yeah, I wasn't sure if the amber from the varnish would work or not after a few test wraps on the NFC rod but decided to roll with it anyway and see how it turned out and I like the look. But I think it's time to do some experimenting with different finishing methods on different colored broken blanks so I'll have a better idea of how the wraps will turn out.

Eastslope wrote:
Nice work. Interesting color combination on the Iconoglass rod - it works. Lovely reel seat on that rod too. Can I ask where the seat hardware is from?
Ron

Ron...........The maker of the seat is Ray Lee ( RL reel seats ) and he sells on the auction site ( I'll PM you more info ). I purchased this one and a dyed spalted maple for a Steffen I plan on building in the coming months and very much pleased with both. I saw a few bamboo builds on Clark's where someone had used his seat and hardware and thought I'd check him out and glad I did.

Post 13 Apr 2021, 19:35 • #6 
Master Guide
Very nice work those rods look great. Two fine blanks the JG trophy trout is a great big water rod.

Post 13 Apr 2021, 20:19 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
"your journey to the dark side is almost complete" ;)

Post 13 Apr 2021, 20:39 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Nice work, and gorgeous Valentine!

Post 14 Apr 2021, 20:47 • #9 
Sport
Little kern golden wrote:
Very nice work those rods look great. Two fine blanks the JG trophy trout is a great big water rod.

Thanks Lanny ! And thanks again for the recommendation of the NFC........hope to have it on the water next week. And yes, that JG is a pretty amazing stick ! I made the mistake of letting my wife fish it a few days ago and I'm afraid it might be hers now. Ha

jhuskey wrote:
"your journey to the dark side is almost complete" ;)

True..........But "Much to learn I still have.......This is just the beginning"

jalthoff wrote:
Nice work, and gorgeous Valentine!

Thanks ! Yeah, I got lucky a while back and stumbled on an uncommon Val 76 and have to say it's become one of my favorite reels.

Post 14 Apr 2021, 21:40 • #10 
Master Guide
Very nice!!

Post 14 Apr 2021, 22:33 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
These look very good. Great work!

Post 15 Apr 2021, 06:39 • #12 
Sport
great looks on both of those rods! i'm wondering what the reel seats is on the James Green rod?

Post 15 Apr 2021, 07:56 • #13 
Sport
nctrucker wrote:
great looks on both of those rods! i'm wondering what the reel seats is on the James Green rod?

Thanks. The seat on the JG is a Garrison downlocker from Proof FF.....

Post 15 Apr 2021, 13:02 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
melodious_thunk wrote:
The maker of the seat is Ray Lee ( RL reel seats ) and he sells on the auction site

I forgot to add earlier that I have bought a couple of his reel seats, and they are excellent. I will be buying more. Yours looks really nice.

Post 02 Jul 2021, 05:57 • #15 
Sport
Awesome job!

Post 02 Jul 2021, 10:57 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Very nicely done! I have been using Ray Lee’s hardware for a number of years and have had nothing but great service and product from him. He is also open to special requests, e.g. no cap on the “cap” section to allow a hardwood butt cap or say, no cork check ring if doing a continuous cork grip/reel seat. He even has included surprise “gifts” in packages such as spalted reelseat blanks for turning. I really like the way that James Green blank turned out. Very clean and understated. Roy

Post 04 Jul 2021, 12:13 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Very beautiful work.......Aurelio

Post 04 Jul 2021, 13:55 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Those are really nice. And for rods 3&4, especially so.

I have avoided varnish on light colored blanks for reason you show.

The Shimmers in the black blank are not a structural problem and can be hard to get a handle on. And they look so much worse with macro photography and as a builder. Other people don't notice them.

It's time to go fish those rods hard.

Post 05 Jul 2021, 14:17 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Looking great!

Post 07 Jul 2021, 05:28 • #20 
Master Guide
Nicely done

New Topic Add Reply