It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:51

New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Mar 2021, 12:46 • #1 
I'm considering what it would take to repair this Berkley BT5C pack rod handle end. It's got a fair bit of play when attached and would probably fall off while fishing if I used it. As you can see from the photo the inside is covered with sticky black gunk that perhaps is deteriorated foam that used to fit snugly when inserted into the reel seat portion of the rod. Does anyone have ideas on how to approach this problem?

Post 31 Mar 2021, 16:32 • #2 
Administrator
From the photo it is difficult to tell where the sticky material ends and the black plastic stub begins. The first step would be to clean off the sticky material, perhaps with mineral spirits and/or acetone. Hopefully the sticky comes off easily and leaves a solid black plastic stub behind. If the entire stub is decomposed, it will have to be replaced.

If the black plastic stub is still solid you might use epoxy to glue it into the reelseat. If the pieces fit together well, rough up the stub and the inside of the reelseat with coarse sandpaper. Use a 5 minute epoxy to glue them together. If the reelseat is a sloppy fit on the stub, use some 1/8" wide strips of masking tape to make a couple of spacers to hold the stub square to the reelseat while gluing them together.

Tom

Post 31 Mar 2021, 19:44 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
How about a couple of O rings in those two channels?

Post 31 Mar 2021, 22:12 • #4 
Guide
As Jeffsod said mine had o-rings in the channels, take the parts to local hardware and find some rings that will make it snug.

Post 31 Mar 2021, 22:56 • #5 
Aha, yes that should do the trick. Thank you everyone.

Post 01 Apr 2021, 12:39 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I'm assuming that sticky black gunk may be the remains of the O-rings that once resided there. Could have been the result of heat and perhaps a cleaning solvent reaction. Acetone can dissolve rubber.

Larry

Post 02 Apr 2021, 09:51 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
O-rings don't seem like a great idea to me even though it looks like that might have been what was in those grooves. Not only might the reel seat fall off at the wrong time but wouldn't the seat tend to rotate easily? That type of mount would be fine for a removable fighting butt but I have my doubts about doing the whole seat that way.

Post 02 Apr 2021, 17:27 • #8 
I think you're right about the weakness of the design. I think it's a trade-off due to this being a dreaded spin/fly combo. I was able to clean up the goo with Toluene but I'm having a hard time finding an O-ring that fits both the inside of the seat and the outside of the shaft in the detachable handle. I assume the end cap is meant to switch also, at any rate it fits in both pieces. And yes, I expect to lose the end cap pretty easily.

Post 02 Apr 2021, 19:05 • #9 
Administrator
I missed the earlier mention this was a pack rod. No epoxy...

Eventually you will find new O-rings. Until then, put the removable butt section and plug in a drawer. Shape a champagne cork to a snug fit in the reelseat. Use the rig only as a fly rod.

If you lose the champagne cork it is easy to replace it. Or if you have a bad day on the water, obtain a cork with better karma.

Tom

Post 02 Apr 2021, 21:23 • #10 
My bad, the initial photo didn't readily convey why the butt section was disconnected to begin with. I like the cork plan, this will get me on the water quickly; spring is coming.

New Topic Add Reply