It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Mar 2021, 10:45 • #1 
Sport
I'm planning a buildout of a Lamiglas SFL966S blank which I believe is the blank used for the 8180 factory build. It's one of Lami's amber S-Glass 8' 2pc 6WT blanks. I do intend to do a static guide check but I'm looking for the factory spacing as a starting point and reference.

Any additional info on buildout of this blank would be appreciated.

Thx!

Post 10 May 2021, 00:38 • #2 
Administrator
Sorry I missed this thread earlier. I don't have the spacing for the factory 8180 rod. I do have the instructions that came with the Lamiglas KSF80 rod kit (a factory kit with the SFL966S blank). The kit came with a grip, cork spacer reelseat, a set of guides, a rod bag, but no thread, no finish, and no guide spacing. I will photograph the rest in the next day or two. In the meantime, I'll reference this eBay auction for photos of a factory 8180. My last photo shows the post-shipping remains of an S-glass spinning rod with essentially the same reelseat and style as the factory fly rods (never ship rods in just the rod tube!). I am fairly sure this is a Varmac reelseat still available from Rick's Rods.

The Lami kit instructions were written by Dale Clemens and make for a short rod building class. Just add a rod kit...

Tom

I've only posted thumbnails because the full images are almost 1MB each. Mobile users beware.

Post 10 May 2021, 13:54 • #3 
Sport
Really appreciate you taking the time to follow up Tom.

I was aware of the listing you pointed me to and I reached out to the seller, explained what I was building, and respectfully requested his help measuring guide locations even though I wasn't interested in purchasing the rod. Turns out he lives within 3 miles of where I'm at and he agreed to meet me with the rod and let me take the measurements myself. We tried to connect but never actually came together.

After not receiving any bites on guide spacing here, I proceeded on-plan and did a static test and set the guide locations based on that. My final looked much different than those on the 8180 auction listing - I ended up with two more guides than the factory rod (10 vs. 8 ) and from the pix, I'm using smaller guides at the front end (1/0 vs what looks to be 1's or 2's in the auction photos).

I had the opportunity to fish this rod a couple of times since completing the build and I'm extremely happy with how it fishes. Extremely happy. I've attached a few pix and additional info below in hopes that this thread can be used by someone else down the road.

My Guide spacing:

T = 0.087" (5.5)
3-7/8" (1/0)
8-3/8" (1/0)
13-3/8" (1)
18-3/4" (1)
24-5/8" (1)
31-1/8" (2)
38" (2)
45-1/4" (3)
53-5/8" (3)
65" (12)

Incidentally, when I purchased the blank, it came with a factory GPH-2 seat/grip. I opted to finish the rod with a fenwick grip and an antique gold DL seat with a brown Carbon fiber insert that I think looks great with the amber Glass.

New Topic Add Reply