It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:22

New Topic Add Reply
Ferrule click?
Post 24 Mar 2021, 15:20 • #1 
Master Guide
This should be a quick question for the experienced rod builders on the forum....

I was fortunate enough to acquire a beautiful NOS unsanded Fisher 8ft 5wt 2 piece blank with a spigot ferrule.

When I assemble to two pieces and waggle them, there is a slight “click” at the ferrule.

Starts off very subtle but gets more noticeable as I continue to waggle.

I tried a little paraffin on the male and it may have helped a bit, but not much.

Would a snug ferrule thread wrap on the female ferrule take care of this?
Other ideas?
Thanks in advance!
GB

Re: Ferrule click?
Post 24 Mar 2021, 15:59 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I think it’s a waste of your time to try and fix something like that. Probably need to suck it up and sell it for as little loss as you can! Hah! Rub a small amount of bees wax on the male ferrule. Should take care of it. Paraffin would work too. The only problem with either is dirt really sticks to it, so a good cleaning of both ends of the ferrule is necessary each time you put it away. You’re going to have to wrap the female ferrule anyway, so that might help.

Post 24 Mar 2021, 21:13 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Clean the ferrule first. Sometimes a little debris will cause a poor fit. Press fit snug--not ram tight. Have someone else listen carefully to locate the source of the click, whether in the glued-in portion of the spigot or the portion covered by the female of the tip section. For that matter, you may find the click is from somewhere or something else--for instance, a wrap, or guide, or smidge of finish overlapping from the blank to the spigot. Pinch the rod at likely spots as you flex it and you can probably find the exact location of the click. Perhaps you've done all this, but otherwise, I'll just say a click isn't always where it seems to be. Wax will likely take care of it if it is on the male part of the spigot--minimal application, and don't allow it to "lubricate" (paraffin) to too tight a fit or snug the fit so much (beeswax) that the depth the spigot is inserted is significantly shortened. Keep it clean.

I see I missed that this is a blank only--no wraps and guides installed? Clean the ferrule. The female should be wrapped before you do any flexing of the blank, and as retiredfisher mentioned, that alone may end the click.

Post 24 Mar 2021, 21:22 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Wrap the female ferrule before fitting it. You can split the blank if you force it together.

What you need to figure out is if it is the spiggot where it is glued in the blank that is clicking or the spiggot fitting into the female ferrule.
After it's all wrapped, a little wax will probably solve it.

Post 24 Mar 2021, 22:30 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Matter of fact--good thing retiredfisher and carlz are nailing this--wrap the blank end where the spigot is glued in as well before doing any hard flexing. If the spigot is secure in the blank--you can't move it by very light pulling, twisting, or pushing--a wrap there may quiet any click there.

Post 25 Mar 2021, 09:28 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I tried to create a bigger gap on a spigot ferrule one time by tightly wrapping the female, it made no difference. Tried a couple times to the point of breaking thread.
I'm not sure you can actually collapse a tube -like hollow glass- by wrapping it with thread.

Wrapping it IS a good idea before flexing rod etc.

Post 25 Mar 2021, 10:15 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Got a nice case here for what does/doesn't work, as in might help, and the ferrule needs to be wrapped anyhow. Strike one on significant tightening, per Magic's report. A click might be different, which is why you need to clean the junction thoroughly. Tubes, when flexed, tend to an oval shape, so a tiny dimensional variation outside specification, combined with a tiny dimensional deformation under flex, might enable a click. The protective wraps at a ferrule help resist this slight tendency, keeping the female more stable in shape relative to the spigot. IDK. Isolate the click as described and you'll be able to tell us.

Post 07 Apr 2021, 06:02 • #8 
Master Guide
Appreciate everyone’s advice.
The snug ferrule wraps and the deep cleaning did the trick.

Thank you

New Topic Add Reply