It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:13

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Mar 2021, 19:26 • #1 
I picked up this new blank today at a very reasonable price today from a fellow club member and just did a search on this site to see if the number of guides and spacing distances were listed. No luck unfortunately.

Would anyone happen to have a finished rod that they might check and send them to me, or could I take the spacing from my 8' 6wt Steffen and come close to what I need for the Fisher?

Thanks for any suggestions,

TB

Post 23 Mar 2021, 20:11 • #2 
Master Guide
For starters, first guide down from tip, 4”. Stripper, 31 to 32 inches from bottom of butt section. Those are pretty standard start points for any fly rod. 8ft rod, most will take 9 or 10 total guides not including tip top, difference between 9 or 10, taper, I’ve found softer, more full flexing tapers usually need 10 for an 8 to 8-6 length blank. Take the spacing for the Steffen, lay that out on the Fisher, tape the guides on, find some way to hold the butt section in place with the blank at about 75 degree angle, run a fly line thru the guides and put a load on the blank with a taunt line, look at the guides, see how well the line follows the curve of the blank, move guides between the stripper and 4” guide from tip if needed to get a better line to blank curve.
People telling you the exact layout of their Fisher may not be the best for your blank, it will be close, but you need to tune it for your blank. The Steffen spacing will be close I bet.
You’ll enjoy that Fisher, it is a great 6wt.

Post 24 Mar 2021, 18:16 • #3 
Master Guide
I’m new to rod building, but it seems that this chart by Tom Morgan is a solid place to start.

https://www.snakeguides.com/pdf/guide_spacing_size.pdf

Post 24 Mar 2021, 19:36 • #4 
GB
That will certainly give me a start on the guide sizes as well as getting close to the layout. I'll tape them on and run a line thru them to see how they bend the rod in an even keel if that's the word.

Thank you very much,

Terry

New Topic Add Reply